TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a lifted 88 pickup with 109,000 miles on it. its got the 3.0 v6. i was just woundering if i should sell it and get a newer tacoma.of course i couldnt get a new one with just the money i get for it.the only thing it needs is a clutch(soon). this question would be a no brainer but im leaving for the navy in 5 months. ill still be driving my truck after i leave n stuff . im not shure if i should just keep it or get a new one now.any input would help. thanx :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
is it straight axle efi

·
Registered
148 Posts
i would keep it and use it when you are on shore leave. you could also get another truck as a DD and have this as a weekend toy/build truck although i am not a fan of the 3.0 but it is still an alright motor.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I thought the Navy offered enlistment incentive bonus of up to 40k? At least that's how it was 8 years ago when I was considering the same move. Maybe I'm a little behind the times? Use that money to buy and payoff a Taco!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Personally I would rather leave an older paid for vehicle sitting around than a new one. My 89 toy sits unused (basically just a plow truck) for months at a time, as do my landcruiser and mustang, which are summer toys. But they are all paid for. I would feel kinda strange making payments on something that was going to just sit around. Not to mention if you want another lifted truck, and buy a stock one, theres about 2-3 grand (nice suspension lift and wheels/tires) more you have to spend to make it like your old one. And I love the old 84-88 body style. I wish I still had my 87 reg cab turbo.

·
Registered
148 Posts
tderose said:
I thought the Navy offered enlistment incentive bonus of up to 40k? At least that's how it was 8 years ago when I was considering the same move. Maybe I'm a little behind the times? Use that money to buy and payoff a Taco!

as far as i know the navy is in the same situation as the AF they are practicly kicking people out, the military wants more army and marines. plus even if i got a 40k bonus i dont think i would want a new vehicle depriciating on shore (in salty conditions) while i am on a ship 8 months a year just my opinion. i know when i get sent over seas it sucks balls knowing i am just paying insurance on a vehicle i can't drive and yes i know it goes down when in "storage mode" but still

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i do have a 40,000 dollar bonus coming to me but i dont really want to use it on a truck now that i think about it.all people tell me to do is invest it and i believe thats the best thing to do. i wont be on a ship that much but ill be training for a majority of the next few years then im shure ill be in afganistan or iraq. im not there yet but im shure like you said it wont make much sense to be paying inshurance for something i dont drive, especially something new thats just going to rust like oyu said.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
An 19 year old truck with only 109K on it and only needs a clutch...IMO I would fix the clutch and keep it..That thing has got another 100K + left it in..
I hated being deployed and having my truck payment auto deducted, but the upside was the truck had low mileage and was paid off when I got out. Flip a coin. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts