TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I just bought a 2007 Prius last weekend. I have a long commute, and I should save $80 or so in gas a month. I have been getting mid-fifties up to 61 mpg on my commute this past week. :) It's a great car, very good for the price (they're going for invoice now, 0% for 2 years, and a federal tax credit), but I still have "feelings" for my tacoma.

I didn't trade in the tacoma because I thought I could just sell it myself and make a little more. It is a 2001 regular cab, 2.7, 4wd, 103,000 miles. Never caused me any probems yet! :eek: It is the base model though - doesn't have cruise, no side airbags, no ABS, no power anything, no frekin' clock... which in a way is why I like it I think. Most of the miles were for work (different job now), so I have billed about $25,000 in mileage driving the truck since I bought it. It has paid for itself!

It is worth about $8,000 according to KBB. It would cost me about $27/mo to insure it, liability only, and about $80/month in "opportunity cost" (money I could make from having $8,000 in savings) and depreciation. Should I pay about $110/mo to keep my truck in the garage? It won't get driven much (third car for two people). I'm torn! :( When are emotions for inanimate objects ok? :p

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would keep it. You can either build it or just keep it for when you need it. I think if you sell it you will definitely regret it soon after.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
SELL! If your pinching that many pennies, you obviously can't afford to wheel. Instead of just your gas & insurance costs, you now have incurred gas, insurance, and a car payment. I see your situation as a net loss.
SELL!!:2cents:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not that I am really pinching pennies, just trying to make the most informed decision, that's all. I'm leaning toward keeping it. You can't toss much hay in the Prius, or go off-roading with much ability. :D My wife has a CRV though, so we are set for winter driving and moving the dog and a bale of hay or two, but no adventure driving in the boonies without the tacoma...

Unfortunately we moved to Texas from Arizona about a year ago. A LOT less cool places to explore. No mountains here. :(

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Sell it and for the same money buy somebody elses already built piece.

Shit, sell it for 8k and turn that around and buy Tacozilla. Then you got all the angles covered. Commute, winter/camp car, rig.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'd keep it or sell it and buy a built rig for offroad.... I've also regretted selling past trucks that I've had. I keep telling myself I'll NEVER be without one now.. :2cents:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Keep your Taco! Trust me, you won't be able to live without a truck after having one for as long as you have. You will miss it if you sell it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I am leaning toward keeping it. They don't make them small like this anymore, and the smaller regular cab 4wd tacos will be tougher to find eventually. It would make a great farm truck someday too. Now I can finally go wheeling and not care as much about it being a daily driver... hmm.

I actually had to drive it today because I bought a utility shelf from work and need to carry it home in something. The wife's CRV may have worked (with a little more trouble), but maybe this is a sign to keep it? :D

It's just been too dang good to me the past 6 years. :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
insurance wise

if you really arent going to drive it but maybe once a month, suspend your insurance to comprehensive only. this way its covered for wind, theft, fire, hail & vandalism, while it sits. then just call the insurance company to activate whenever you want to drive it. probably cost you about 6 bucks a month. we have people who do this with older cars that are rarely driven all the time. i work for an ins co.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you really arent going to drive it but maybe once a month, suspend your insurance to comprehensive only. this way its covered for wind, theft, fire, hail & vandalism, while it sits. then just call the insurance company to activate whenever you want to drive it. probably cost you about 6 bucks a month. we have people who do this with older cars that are rarely driven all the time. i work for an ins co.
Ok, great information, thanks. Do people call you up then when they need to unsuspend it for a day or two so that it can be driven? It is only $9/mo to suspend its insurance.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
How about setting it up as a camper? Add a truck cap and some interior basics and you will have a functional vehicle distinctly different from your others.

·
Registered
89 Posts
tag for answer. I also say keep it, u will need a truck sooner or later.

Ok, great information, thanks. Do people call you up then when they need to unsuspend it for a day or two so that it can be driven? It is only $9/mo to suspend its insurance.

Thanks!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hey guys.

I just bought a 2007 Prius last weekend. I have a long commute, and I should save $80 or so in gas a month. I have been getting mid-fifties up to 61 mpg on my commute this past week. :) It's a great car, very good for the price (they're going for invoice now, 0% for 2 years, and a federal tax credit), but I still have "feelings" for my tacoma.

I didn't trade in the tacoma because I thought I could just sell it myself and make a little more. It is a 2001 regular cab, 2.7, 4wd, 103,000 miles. Never caused me any probems yet! :eek: It is the base model though - doesn't have cruise, no side airbags, no ABS, no power anything, no frekin' clock... which in a way is why I like it I think. Most of the miles were for work (different job now), so I have billed about $25,000 in mileage driving the truck since I bought it. It has paid for itself!

It is worth about $8,000 according to KBB. It would cost me about $27/mo to insure it, liability only, and about $80/month in "opportunity cost" (money I could make from having $8,000 in savings) and depreciation. Should I pay about $110/mo to keep my truck in the garage? It won't get driven much (third car for two people). I'm torn! :( When are emotions for inanimate objects ok? :p
Do you own a home? I know I use mine a lot for hauling stuff (mulch, tree's, trash, ATV, Trailer, lawn mower, etc). If you can afford the extra insurance and it's paid for then keep it. I think you will regret it.

How long is your commute? I commute about 120mi round trip a day right now. I car pool at least 3 days a week and I save a ton of money in gas in my 4Runner and Tacoma. I can't justify buying a dedicated commuter to offset the fuel savings since I do the carpool\slug thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts