TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. I got home from the airport last night and saw smoke coming out of my engine bay. Popped the hood and noticed it was coming from my radiator overflow thing (can't think of the name). Upon further inspection, I realized that the alternator belt was missing in action. It then clicked that the alternator belt also drives the water pump.

So, it appears that I drove my truck between 1 to 10 miles without the water pump pumping. I'm hoping that I didn't cook my engine. I didn't look at the temperature gauge last night, which I'm now regretting. A friend recommended that I check the oil and make sure water was mixed in, which it isn't. What else do I need to check?

Any advice is appreciated...

·
Administrator
18,233 Posts
Check the coolant to see if you have any oil in it. Look for a sheen on the top. Otherwise there isn't much else to check. Fire it up and see if it overheats again, both while parked and normal driving conditions. If you didn't blow the head gasket and the engine still has all its power, you might have gotten off easy.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If this is a V6 truck the water pump is run by the timing belt. The fan is on it's own bearing and has nothing to do with the water pump.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a 2.7 4cyl. My fingers are crossed, but everything shows that I got lucky so far. The 12v battery light did light up, but I ignored it because it comes on randomly every few months and then goes away. I think it came on about 3-4 miles from my house.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, all appears well. I drained my radiator with no signs of oil in it. I then installed new alt belt and flushed the radiator. Cranked it and everything sounded normal. Drove it for about 10 minutes and didn't have any weird noises or any loss of power.

I do plan to change the oil again in a week or so just to make sure there is still no signs of water.

Thanks ShowStop for the advice. I definitely got lucky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts