TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, we are starting to get pretty heavy into our 05+ Tacoma rear bumper project finally and we're looking for some feed back.

I have sketched up two ideas of basically the same bumper. The second picture (offset lisc. plate) is closer to the acctual dims, so keep that in mind. But basically I want to get a feel for what is more important to you as the customer, because after all, you are the people we build these products for.

The topic up for debate is lisc. plate location, or clearance. I am a firm believer in function, but others might feel otherwise. So, lets hear what you guys have to say.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've found the reciever sections on many of these offroad bumpers very lacking for serious towing. I like the first option best if a hitch were in my plans. If I weren't towing much I would probably prefer #2. I've been happy with the my rear bumper, but I did have to cut the original hitch off and build a new one. The original hitch was strong enough but the reciever was too short and tucked in too far. It put my trailer so close I couldn't turn the truck without hitting the propane bottles. In fact, before I could get it fixed it tore my bottles all up. That's the price of building everything for ground clearance though, so it wasn't really a fault of the bumper. If the intended use of the hitch was for things other than towing, then #2 would be fine

I guess my vote would be to build the bumper without a hitch and offer option #1 as an add on, and design it for real towing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
looking for clearance and to be able to tow still, I don't do it often but I still want the option. Are you going to be wrapping it around the sides?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess my vote would be to build the bumper without a hitch and offer option #1 as an add on, and design it for real towing.
One of the benifits of making our products custom built to order, its that we could make these sort of changes at time of order. We are trying to nail down ONE standard design though, Majority Rules. We can deffinatly take custom orders though at an addition charge. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looking for clearance and to be able to tow still, I don't do it often but I still want the option. Are you going to be wrapping it around the sides?
Right now we are just working on a direct replacement. But, we have two 4th gens here at the shop now. One guy wants a full wrap around, the other a direct replacement.

A wrap around could possibly be in the cards.....possibly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
IMO the "majority" will want #1.

I like #2 but the plate will get ripped off so as others have said just mount it in the receiver and remove it offroad

·
Registered
292 Posts
Are #1 and #2 actually going to be the same size just different location of the receiver? I would go with #2, you can get a hitch that will work for just about any location of receiver. If 2 is thinner how much flat area will there be from top of bumper to bottom?
Thanks, Cam-shaft.

·
Registered
312 Posts
NIce Bumper ,but go with number 2 to keep the clearance. Another option is to make the opening and make the hitch separate. Always fun get pulled off of a large rock because your hitch receiver is hung up.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Number two looks better, better clearance, as long as the hitch set-up is strong. Definitely don't miss dragging my stock hitch and getting hung up on that thing.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
#2 is the best design of form and function. you can still tow, but wont get hung up on your hitch point. Add a license plate holder as and option and run with it. you may also want to add some round holes to the bumper as an option for lights.....just a thought.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I assume in the first pic, that is the stock hitch/receiver... I like that idea, but I tow a lot w/mine. I understand that the majority wants more clearance, but what about options? What about the sides? Looking good!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I like the look of #2 the best. The offset license plate adds a little more character to the bumper. Now what about a front bumper for a 2012 taco :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
I like #2. plus for you towing folk I was just thinking abt the trailers safety chains you guys could weld a couple loops (1 on each side of the receiver) so they still will be flat with the bumper but on the backside facing the front so all you got to do is reach up there hook the chains and be safe that way. and Im sure you guys will be able to do that with minimal work/welding. Just a thought. I like them though now make them real I want to see some functional use.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the look of #2 the best. The offset license plate adds a little more character to the bumper. Now what about a front bumper for a 2012 taco :D
Looks like the genral consensus is option #2! I was hoping for that. Like I stated earlier though, if its not for you just give us a call, and we can talk about a custom order.

And yaker, our website is a little out of date, but the 2005-2011 Tacoma front bumper on the site will fit a 2012 as well.

I guess I'll be getting started on a prototype this week. Thanks for all the feedback everone!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Just a heads up to those who do tow seriously. Most the clearance bumper designs out there are set up with towing as a second priority. This thread is a good example. Sometimes the recievers are not even full length and the pin locations are off. This is done to make the bumper super tight against the truck. All this pulls the trailer into the back of the truck and limits articulation of the truck/trailer in tight spots. Adding a swing-away compounds the problems. If you have a long empty tongue on your trailer then you will probably be OK. Travel trailers and trailers with boxes on the hitch can get you into trouble.

Just sayin...be careful what you wish for. Most the builders will help you out with a better hitch design if you tell them what you need. I was caught unaware and had some serious problems. Again, not the fault of the bumper or the builder, but there should be better information provided when you order about potential problems towing with a high clearance design.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts