TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am researching the frame differences to double check myself before this design goes out... after tearing down my own and a couple other tacos I have found the two (that I know of) differences.

tacos
95.5-97 short frame horn
98-00 long frame horn (roughly 3" longer)
01-04 short horn again

I have less confirmation on the 4runners. I tore down my wife's 97' and it is the same frame as my 00' prerunner....so the 4runner years are unclear.

4runner
95.5- 9? = ?
99 - ? = long frame horn

The difference between the two:

The short frame has the 3" box extention tied together with a crossmember (all which removes)

The long version just has a tapering frame end.....the crossmember in front of the radiator is welded.

I know of the 4Runner body change in 03' which we already have a bumper for.

thanks for any help, tech only please so we can get this sorted out....

Nick

·
Registered
704 Posts
Give me a reference point from where to measure....or a pic, and I will look at my 95.5 for ya.

·
Registered
219 Posts
how heavy is the front bumper? I am looking at one for a 98 Taco.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The difference between the two:

The short frame has the 3" box extention tied together with a crossmember (all which removes)

The long version just has a tapering frame end.....the crossmember in front of the radiator is welded.

thanks for any help, tech only please so we can get this sorted out....

Nick
Here are some pics the first is the short, second is long :

any other Q's will be answered in another thread but we haven't gotten the prototype yet (probably about 120lbs). thx

·
Registered
19 Posts
So are you done with the 05-07' Toyota Tacoma Bumper and you have these 95.5 -04's Tacoma Bumpers coming out next?

When are you getting around to the Toyota Tundra????? I was under the impression you guys were going to make one for the Tundra starting around November 06' - January 07' . What happened???

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The initial design is finished, just waiting on the prototype. I will fit both the taco and 4Runner. Working out sliders for both

Nick

·
Registered
427 Posts
so 4 runner and 95-04 taco are going to be the same?

release?

·
Registered
622 Posts
if your talking about it being longer because of teh little rounded part that sticks out that is easily removed if i can recall correctly. i have a 98 and i removed mine a while back and they were pretty easy i think. if thats the only difference then design them around the short frame and tell teh 98-00 guys they have to remove that end cap thing

·
Registered
361 Posts
4runner 96-02 are exactly the same in the front, absolutely no changes what so ever just to let you know

however TJM decided to make changes, the frame brackets for the t15 and t17 for 96-98 have included tow hooks on the brackets, 99-02 use the tow hooks that are originally on there.

hope that helps man

if needed i can find a picture of my front without my tjm on it

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
if your talking about it being longer because of teh little rounded part that sticks out that is easily removed if i can recall correctly. i have a 98 and i removed mine a while back and they were pretty easy i think. if thats the only difference then design them around the short frame and tell teh 98-00 guys they have to remove that end cap thing
its not merely a different with the little bolt on frame horns.. there is also a 3" longer frame rail on some year models like mine.. Last we decided , there will be two different mounting brackets one for the real short frame rails (right below core support) right in front of the front body mounts and one for frame rails like mine that are 3" farther from the front body mounts.

my frame rails are 3" farther out from the front body mounts then I have the bolt on frame horn (crush cans) which were removed long ago due to beating the piss outta them . I will try to keep this thread updated when the prototypes get here ..

·
Registered
361 Posts
alright some pics i think should help

99 or 00, could be a 96-98, the grill is from a 99-00 though

this is a 96, has 99-00 grill but i know for sure its a 96 as he told me.

the rest are mine which is an 01, back before I had lift or much lift

if yall need me to, i can take pictures of the bracket that crushes on impact, and also if yall need other ppls help, Ultimateyota.com ppl have done this on 96-98 4runners and im sure theyd help too.

let me know :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Here are some pics the first is the short, second is long :

any other Q's will be answered in another thread but we haven't gotten the prototype yet (probably about 120lbs). thx
i know that truck! ;)

what will be the cost of the bumper when said and done for the 95.5 taco?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the pics and info. I'll have to check that site out, it seems to have some good info.

The 4Runner frame seems (my wife's 97' is) to be the same as my 00 taco. Both are the longer version and there is the welded cross member to bolt the front of the skid to. I have worked around both frame styles and a body lift option for both. I will check out any complications when I get my hands on the first prototype.

As for time frame and cost you'll have to call and talk to Jim.

Nick

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
bump for prototypes arriving soon :)
Edit: Sorry not production bumpers, we have 2 prototypes for fitting/testing if all goes as planned then Jim will have a better idea of when the production can begin on them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting together the parts for the 97 4runner the products will be pictured on. No set date but getting close. OME lift , 255 75 R17 BFG Mud terrains, pro comp wheels, etc.

I will start a different thread for that build up when I get a chance.

Nick

·
Registered
655 Posts
i'll donate my truck for mock ups for the prototype for a 96 taco (mine is the green one you pictured ;) )

·
Registered
584 Posts
Any new info on the 95.5-04 tacoma bumpers??

-AJ

1 - 20 of 63 Posts