TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Significant mileage decrease

My gas mileage is way down. Sparks are fine. Tested o2 sensor, seems to be good. (Which wires are the heater?) MAF is good. Not throwing any codes. Had a problem where after a loooong trip the o2 sensor come unbolted and acutally fell out, threw check light, torched it, check light went out. (Which wires are the heater?) My mileage is down roughly 120 per tank. Normally it only goes down about 36 in the winter. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Fuel filter. My truck would do this and that always fixed it for me. For the $25 part, it might be worth a try.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Marshytaco said:
Fuel filter. My truck would do this and that always fixed it for me. For the $25 part, it might be worth a try.
Good luck!
I wish that SOB was easier to change. It's easy to get to but the damn fittings are kinda rusty. With my luck, I just know I'll twist the damn end off one of the ends of the hardlines. Then I'm screwed. I've had a filter laying around for over a year now. I need to change it.

My truck is getting horrible mileage as well. I'm getting about the same 120-150 miles per tank. I've got a sporadic check engine light too. I believe it's a P0107 or whatever the code is that is typically associated with an O2 sensor. I may be mistaken on that. Regardless, it's basically saying that Bank 1 is lean. It comes and goes though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think it is part to blame because of winter gas, I was getting about 250-275 on a tank and now right at the start of winter i am getting 210-220 with the same driving.

·
Registered
514 Posts
tbst said:
Anyone else?
Did you test the o2 by looking at its waveform on a scantool like the one URD sells from OBD Diagnostics? Its possible for the o2 sensor to be off and not throw the CEL. Put your finger in your exhaust tip, if its black and suity its to rich. I would bet you need a new 02 sensor after what happened. Those things are rediculously fragile from my experiences. Just a 3ft. drop to the ground while in the box with no visible damage what so ever can cause them to go bad. You should be able to feel some sort of loss of performance if your burning that much more fuel than usuall, thats a huge mileage drop.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I get 220 on a tank now so that means I am down to about 14 mpg (in Rochester, NY). That blows so I am looking into the same things as you. I stuck some seafoam in the gas tank on the last fillup and will see if that makes a difference. I am planning on the fuel filter and then I have a new cat and muffler to put on (the muffler might not do anything but there is an exhaust leak around my cat gaskets so why not get a high flow and solve the leak). If none of that helps I will be pissed. I guess I should also check the front o2 because it popped out and then I just stuck it back in with new nuts. I was getting around 19-21 mpg back in the summer.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Somebody explain to me how a fuel filter would cause shitty fuel consumption (well maybe if it's leaking)... :confused:... Shitty running I have experienced ;)

OP
With no codes showing... Be sure it's not plugs/wires/coils and the smog devices ie... egr valve and such... maybe not bad just dirty... as well as a dirty intake... Clean air filter ?.. Fuel leaks ?

It's not running abnormally ?.. Power loss ?

Yer not running 35's with 4.10's are you ?.. LOL

Any mods to yer truck ?

Have you purchased gas from other stations with the same results ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
jester_motorsports said:
Everything you just asked is right there to look at. :rolleyes:

120 miles per tank
Akron, OH

Anything else you'd like to know?

You are right.. but you need to learn how to read.

"down roughly 120 per tank" "normally it only goes down about 36 in the winter"

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Fast1 said:
You are right.. but you need to learn how to read.

"down roughly 120 per tank" "normally it only goes down about 36 in the winter"
Alright eckspert reeder...I'll give ya the misinformation on the mileage, but how do you explain you not knowing where the hell he lived? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tested both the o2 sensors. Front is at like 19ohms, and back is at like 6ohms. For the heating for that is. Then tested for resisistance, the rear seemed fine. Why the fuel filter? It seems that that would give me the opposite problem. Last winter mileagle only went down 2mpg. I have everything stock. No black soot, do not want to just start dropping money. Need to look at the cat, as if MAY be bad, dont think so. It seems to be enough pressure coming out of the tailpipe. Normal time to warm up, warms up to normal operating temp. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Well mine has dropped to but thats because winter sucks. And I am in GA. As for Seafoam as someone mentioned, just the gas tank doesnt do much, pop off the vacuum line on your brake booster and while the engine is running let it suck about half the bottle up. Your truck will pour white smoke and might studder but thats all the junk its burning up. Once the white smoke stops (aboout five minutes of idleing) pour the rest in your tank. It doesnt wonders for your motor, cleans everything out from the inside, however it does foul up your plugs so you have to clean the suckers afterward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a code for an abnormal signal or something that is for the rear o2 sensor. I dont have specifics for mileage but i think i am definitly getting less mileage and performance definitly is not as good as it once was. I have the sensor but havnt put it in yet cause its wicked cold here and the nuts are really rusty.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought i read somewhere that the sensors can gradually get crappy for a while before setting a code. Just a thought. I'll get my new sensor and let you know what it changes for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
tbst said:
Yeah. That doesnt make sense for that kind of a problem. It is sudden drop.
Must be something they're doing to the gas here in beautiful NE Ohio. I'm down about 4-5 mpg this winter, instead of the usual 2-3. I've been reading bad stuff about the Amsoil oiled air filters gumming up the MAF, so I replaced it with a NAPA Gold. Also cleaned the MAF with contact cleaner (it was WAY oily/dirty). That was about 2 months ago, but mileage is still down. Other than airbox elbow removed, everything is stock, I replaced the plugs last summer, and I get no codes. I normally buy at BP; tbst - what gas do you use?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
T-$$ said:
I have a code for an abnormal signal or something that is for the rear o2 sensor. I dont have specifics for mileage but i think i am definitly getting less mileage and performance definitly is not as good as it once was. I have the sensor but havnt put it in yet cause its wicked cold here and the nuts are really rusty.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought i read somewhere that the sensors can gradually get crappy for a while before setting a code. Just a thought. I'll get my new sensor and let you know what it changes for me.
I tested the sensor, and it tested out decently. For the heater also.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts