TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i have the 3.0 in my '93 and couple wks ago noticed that it overheated at night driving to glamis(im in S.D). well, today i drove to work to get it smogged and it overheated on the smog machine. i had the tech dip the sniffer in the coolant resev. and according to the reading its got a blown head gasket. Also, driving home today it started to overheat so i let it cool. about 10 min later i started driving and it would fluctuate between mid and 'H'. *i only live 7-8miles away from work(15min)

The motor was rebuilt by the guy before me(have reciepts), i just bought the truck in feb. and only put about 200miles on it so far.
any input as to what the problem is would be appreciated.

-greg

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, i did search about it but i dont understand why it fluctuates?? all the blown motors ive seen go straight to HOT and dont sit there and bounce around. this is my second 3.0 that ive owned, the other was a 4runner but i never had problems with it so this is kinda new to me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
is it leaking coolant? time for a new thermostat maybe? also might want to look into getting a pressure test done?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i first bought it the temp gauge wouldnt move more than 1/4 up. i found out the old thermostat had been cut so it was just the ring, so i went to toyota and bought a new t-stat. this is when i noticed the temp higher than usual. i just did a oil change last wk and didnt notice anything wrong at that time. im about the pull the truck into the garage and look at the coolant.

also, im only noticing a loss of coolant when it starts to overflow. i dont see it leaking from other parts of the motor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
my buddy bought a used car with a "rebuilt" engine and the head gasket blew on the way home. he was about as happy as a 12 year old getting circumcised.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If this started when you changed thermo's maybe youll get lucky and you just need to replace it again or its installed wrong.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
burwen said:
my buddy bought a used car with a "rebuilt" engine and the head gasket blew on the way home. he was about as happy as a 12 year old getting circumcised.

haha...i bought it back in the beginning of feb. and since then only put 200ish miles on it since i drive the tacoma everyday. im going to call the guy i bought it from cause i now cant pass smog and if i cant pass smog he cant sell it to me.
according to the reciepts from the 'rebuild' it has a 36month/24k mile warranty and the truck is within those limits.

*i just checked the oil/coolant and both look ok.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
BigzTaco said:
when i first bought it the temp gauge wouldnt move more than 1/4 up. i found out the old thermostat had been cut so it was just the ring, so i went to toyota and bought a new t-stat. this is when i noticed the temp higher than usual. i just did a oil change last wk and didnt notice anything wrong at that time. im about the pull the truck into the garage and look at the coolant.

also, im only noticing a loss of coolant when it starts to overflow. i dont see it leaking from other parts of the motor.
Removing the thermostat is an old trick to keep the engine cool if it has overheating problems. So the engine might have had a existing problem before you got it.

Other possibility is that you installed the thermostat backwards.

But in all likelyhood, especially now that the engine has overheated a few times, your head gasket is probably blown and will need to be replaced, and maybe some head work required.

Hopefully Lavos or Redrunner who are both a little more familiar with the 3.slow will see this thread and offer their :2cents: .

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ShowStop said:
Removing the thermostat is an old trick to keep the engine cool if it has overheating problems. So the engine might have had a existing problem before you got it.

Other possibility is that you installed the thermostat backwards.

But in all likelyhood, especially now that the engine has overheated a few times, your head gasket is probably blown and will need to be replaced, and maybe some head work required.

Hopefully Lavos or Redrunner who are both a little more familiar with the 3.slow will see this thread and offer their :2cents: .

that was one of the first questions i had before i bought it. i noticed the gauge didnt move during my test drive so i asked about it and was told that it has never had a over heating problem so i thought maybe the gauge itself was faulty. ill pull the t-stat out to make sure it was isntalled correctly but im pretty sure it was since i did it myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts