TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been sending my oil in to Blackstone. It has come pack with marginally high silicone, aluminum and iron. The theory is that sand is the culprit.

Have been running off the shelf air filters. With the S/C and 7th, it pulls a lot of air. I carry a filter and after being off the pavement, change it out with a clean one. A lot of you know how clean I keep things!

The issue is minor but I’d like to see if I can get the numbers down. So, is there a better filter, the best air filter, that I can switch to and see if I can get the numbers down?

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Though that says it is not always "dirt" it does not rule it out, and mentions elevated aluminum, though all the levels discussed are far, far, higher than what I am seeing. Also note that the Blackstone values are compared to an average for the engine model and all that. So, mine are not average, I have not fed it desiccant, silicon sealants or anything out of the ordinary, nor is their any coolant or appreciable amount of fuel in the oil.

My Aluminum is 6 Parts per Million, Average is 2
Iron is 12, average is 6
Silicon 22, average is 12,

Everything else is in range and fine. And the ratios look like dirt injections by that article, but of course that is for passenger cars, not trucks the are in the dirt from time to time.

What is known is that the truck wanders the desert often enough and gets a very dirty filter out of that. I change it but it seems that maybe I could do something better. My numbers are not alarming high at all, but I’d like to see if I cannot get them down and find a air filter that will filter much better.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Dennis,

Try these filters:

http://www.trueflow.com/product.php?$page=filter

go to the media section. They have a comparsion between paper, tru flow and k&n.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dennis,

Try these filters:

http://www.trueflow.com/product.php?$page=filter

go to the media section. They have comparsion between paper, tru flow and k&n.
These are oiled? I am not sure I want to use an oiled filter with the S/C. Isn't the rumor that they are not a good combination?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
These are oiled? I am not sure I want to use an oiled filter with the S/C. Isn't the rumor that they are not a good combination?
Yes its oil but they claim there is a tactifier which prevents the oil from getting on your MAF. I've been using one for a while now and problems with the MAF. I taken it out on couple ocassion just to check it out. The MAF was free of oil.

These filters are just like filters amsoil first introduced and later discontinued. Except these have plastice border just like the stock airfilters and have a much better fit than the amsoil filters which had a rubber/foam boarder.

Another way to decrease intake of dust is adding a snorkel.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
It may not be the filter it could be as simple as a intake leak. Check all of your connections.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes its oil but they claim there is a tactifier which prevents the oil from getting on your MAF. I've been using one for a while now and problems with the MAF. I taken it out on couple ocassion just to check it out. The MAF was free of oil.

These filters are just like filters amsoil first introduced and later discontinued. Except these have plastice border just like the stock airfilters and have a much better fit than the amsoil filters which had a rubber/foam boarder.

Another way to decrease intake of dust is adding a snorkel.
I will order one and see. Thanks!

I plan on trying a few things over time to see if I can get it in line.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It may not be the filter it could be as simple as a intake leak. Check all of your connections.
Thanks. Just about anyone in So. Cal. who’s looked under my hood can vouch for there being nothing out of place. I keep everything in one piece and obsessively clean, go through every last detail over and over when I service it. I just did that a week and half ago and all that was AOK. There are no leaks for sure.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Silicone, alum and iron?

You realize your engine block is irn and heads are aluminum right? lol, I dont think that s a common ingredient in air, maybe dust. But those two seem to be legit.

I silicone a component of crude oil? I bet it is (meaning not 100% of the Si is pulled from the fuel). I think your fine.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Silicone, alum and iron?

You realize your engine block is irn and heads are aluminum right? lol, I dont think that s a common ingredient in air, maybe dust. But those two seem to be legit.

I silicone a component of crude oil? I bet it is (meaning not 100% of the Si is pulled from the fuel). I think your fine.
Yes, I know what the truck is made of! :p

As I said, the number are not high enough to be alarming but I tend to obsess about maintenance and care for my things. So, the three being slightly elevated means there is something I can try to work on as I like things to be correct and as near perfect as possible.
Make it not break when I need it.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Silicone, alum and iron?

"Silicone" is something completely different. But "silicon" is what sand is made of, and I expect that is what he means. Hence the air filter concern.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I carry a filter and after being off the pavement, change it out with a clean one.
That could possibly be yer culprit. Airfilters work best when on the dirty side.
Each time ya change yer filter ya mess up the seal and put a free flowing clean filter in there.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That could possibly be yer culprit. Airfilters work best when on the dirty side.
Each time ya change yer filter ya mess up the seal and put a free flowing clean filter in there.
It gets really dusty sometimes. If I do not change it out, often the truck'll run very badly until I do.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only high flow aftermarket filters that I know of that have BETTER particulate filtration than the stock paper filters are:
www.outlawpower.com
www.aempower.com
It's not suprising because Outlaw Power, Caterillar and AEM all buy their filter material from the same manufacturer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts