TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight I had one of my Silverstars go out after less than one year. Have any of you had problems with your Silverstars burning out after short periods of time? Does anyone have any other suggestions for headlamps if so? Something very bright and white that I dont have to upgrade my wiring harness for. Just a direct replacement. Thanks guys.
 

·
newbie
Joined
·
609 Posts
Silverstar replacements

I second the guys at rallylights.com. I got a pair sent to me in 2 days for a helluva lot cheaper than any local parts stores. I got some of the 100/80w xenons and they are too bright. At 3.75" lift, even adjusted down, people flashed me too much. I ended up with a set of the halogens 100/80w and they are fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Yeah, I was thoroughly uninpressed with the life of my Silverstars. I had them for less than 10 months, and then within a week both burn out. Now I'm gonna get Philips Vision Plus, heard nothin but good things about em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HawaiiBuilt said:
HL78159 Bulb H4 Bulb, 100/80W is what I installed after my Silverstars burnt. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp

Its way cheaper than silverstars and these guys ship quick.

Are those street legal?

What about these lamps
HL88991S Optilux H4 Bulb, 12V, 100/80W, Optilux Xenon XB +100%
Are those a direct replacement? Are they even whiter and brighter and street legal?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
HawaiiBuilt said:
HL78159 Bulb H4 Bulb, 100/80W is what I installed after my Silverstars burnt. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp

Its way cheaper than silverstars and these guys ship quick.
did you have to replace the stock wiring harness? did you notice any melting of the stock reflectors?

thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
The HL78159 isn't street legal cause I believe legal is either 50 or 55w. I could be wrong though. These are also whiter than stock. The ones you're looking at have the same wattage. and if I'm not mistaken, xenon bulbs usually has a blue tint to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
peekay331 said:
did you have to replace the stock wiring harness? did you notice any melting of the stock reflectors?

thanks!
I didnt replace the wiring and didnt notice anything melting. I've had these for 4-5 months so far and everything seems fine.
 

·
newbie
Joined
·
609 Posts
gtrguy13 said:
Are those street legal?

What about these lamps
HL88991S Optilux H4 Bulb, 12V, 100/80W, Optilux Xenon XB +100%
Are those a direct replacement? Are they even whiter and brighter and street legal?

thanks
Those are the ones that everyone flashed me with. I use them for offroad only now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
HawaiiBuilt said:
I didnt replace the wiring and didnt notice anything melting. I've had these for 4-5 months so far and everything seems fine.
cool, just to doublecheck, you have a 2001+ right?

thanks for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
gtrguy13 said:
HawaiiBuilt, one more question, how did those compare to the silverstars? improvment?

thanks
MUCH brighter than the silverstars but the silverstars are whiter. but I think that is due to the fact that the silverstars has a slight purplish color. One major thing that made me buy these hellas is the price. You can buy 3 pairs of the hellas for the price of 1 pair of silverstars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
HawaiiBuilt said:
Yep, I got a 2002. Rick our HI prez recommended these to me and he has a 2001. we both have no problems with anything melting.
thanks for your help again.
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
4,641 Posts
gtrguy13 said:
Well tonight I had one of my Silverstars go out after less than one year. Have any of you had problems with your Silverstars burning out after short periods of time? Does anyone have any other suggestions for headlamps if so? Something very bright and white that I dont have to upgrade my wiring harness for. Just a direct replacement. Thanks guys.
They haven't burnt out yet, but they suck most of the time, as in sometimes they are white and sometimes they are yellow. They aren't even close to the lights in the advertisement Sylvania puts out.

I still don't like them for the inconsistent color and the fact that they were misleading in the picture. I consider them a freaking ripoff.

Oh, well, I'm gonna swap the entire housing out and get PIAAs.
 

·
concussed
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
i just got some. the suckers better last considering the cost.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
12 Participants
fabtaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top