TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing special, but haven't posted in a while and figured I'd share my Jerry can holder I fabbed up with some scrap metal I had laying around. It's one of the cans that cheaper than dirt sells that's metal and simply bad ass. There are a lot of problems at local camping/off road events with theft and what not. I had a full 5 gal. gas can (plastic red one) stolen 2 years ago at an event so that prompted this build.

Used some 1.5" angle, 1.5" flat stock, small hinge, and padlock.

I have a little more done, but no pics. The top latch/lid goes along the top of the handle and directly over the cap so you cannot remove the tank or open the gas cap. Then, a simple locking system using a standard master padlock is used. This will more than likely be welded on the front of my trailer, where the tongue is.

More pics tomorrow.

And no, I am not tacking or welding with the gas can in place or with the metal still hot from welding.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got a sweet locking gas can holder at a garage sale, that used a u-bolt to hold it to the tongue. Just an idea if you wanted it removable without cutting. Easier done with a dual tank mount because the u-bolt is in between the two tanks, but if you trim the ends of bolts down it might fit under the single tank ok.

Welding on is definitely more theft resistant ...stupid thieves... :smokin: mount looks good, and I like the tank too!

"Serious infractions will never expire"

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
tho' securing yer gas can makes it
more difficult for walk about thieves...

It still does not insure that someone couldn't just steal the contents.

But anything that slows 'em down is better then nothing :2cents:

btw... metal to metal contact, with freezing rain, could be an enemy...
if your insert tolerances are fairly snug.
^ Could have you waiting for a thaw for removal.

just sayin' ;)

Look forward to seeing your completion/install :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tho' securing yer gas can makes it
more difficult for walk about thieves...

It still does not insure that someone couldn't just steal the contents.

But anything that slows 'em down is better then nothing :2cents:

btw... metal to metal contact, with freezing rain, could be an enemy...
if your insert tolerances are fairly snug.
^ Could have you waiting for a thaw for removal.

just sayin' ;)

Look forward to seeing your completion/install :)
The way the top piece will be that hinges and locks, will prevent someone from just stealing the gas inside. I am about to work on it now and will take a few more pics to show.

And I'm in central Florida, so I think I am pretty safe on the part about freezing rain :D

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
unless you boxed the entire fuel can (w/steel plate)...
one could simply puncture a hole in the can...
and drain that.

I read where some thief simply drilled a hole
into the primary oem fuel tank, and drained that.

so what you got going that's gonna deter that ?

Bottom line...

if they have time and want it bad enough... it will be gone

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unless you boxed the entire fuel can (w/steel plate)...
one could simply puncture a hole in the can...
and drain that.

I read where some thief simply drilled a hole
into the primary oem fuel tank, and drained that.

so what you got going that's gonna deter that ?

Bottom line...

if they have time and want it bad enough... it will be gone
haha If they want it that bad they can have it. They just look for easy, quick stuff to take since there are so many people and so many eyes watching. They usually take gas cans, hitches, coolers, chairs, and sometimes even ATV's. But, you never know with some people these days.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So here is what I got....

Came out pretty good I think. I need to move the lower lock tab down, because with how long the lock is you can move the top latch up about 1.5". Something simple that I didn't even think about.

I used some closed cell foam tape type stuff from the local Ace Hardware so the lid won't rattle around on the can too much hopefully.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
They usually take gas cans, hitches, coolers, chairs, and sometimes even ATV's. But, you never know with some people these days.
well if they take ya... be sure to fight back (kick and scream some !) Lol

hold downs look good

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Looks very good.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Great job... only comment is the foam.... it will not last.
I would recommend a rubber or soft plastic type of strip to calm down the rattling.
Other than that, can't wait to see you have it mounted.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looks awesome man! I was thinking about making one like yours, but for the time it takes to make, I'd just buy a smittybilt one. Pretty much the same design, just not as heavy duty, like 40 bucks on amazon. Nice job though, should work great.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great job... only comment is the foam.... it will not last.
I would recommend a rubber or soft plastic type of strip to calm down the rattling.
Other than that, can't wait to see you have it mounted.
Thanks! and yea I was doubting how long it was going to last. I will leave it be until it does come apart.

Looks awesome man! I was thinking about making one like yours, but for the time it takes to make, I'd just buy a smittybilt one. Pretty much the same design, just not as heavy duty, like 40 bucks on amazon. Nice job though, should work great.
Thanks! I didn't know Smittybilt had a holder for sale. I will have to check it out. But, I can't beat what I have invested in mine (~$10 or so)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would think bolted or welded, theft resistance will deter the lazy/opportunistic thieves.

My 2 cents goes with bolt on convenience.

If you're still worried about the more dedicated thieves, Maybe make a U shaped plate to go over the sides of the bolts to prevent a bolt cutter, fast and quiet cutting device. Mine uses a plate with two carriage bolts. Basically making a u bolt, but the bolts are exposed around the tongue. if you made a u shaped plate it could cover the sides of the bolts where they go around the tongue. The carriage head shouldn't be cuttable without a grinder or torch and Maybe sawzall, all loud or explosive. Haha.

(Edit: nuts to the bolts are under the can so no access without the can removed )

I like the spout covering lock! Mine doesn't have that. :(

"Serious infractions will never expire"

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nice work. I'm sure it will deter most opportunistic, would be thieves. You really have to weigh how much is item xyz worth, and how much time/money/weight do you want to spend keeping crooks out. If someone really wants your shit, they will get it, one way or another. Locks are really just "Moral Deterrents", gently reminding people "I don't want you to have this, it's mine" or "I don't want you to go in here, please stay out". Hopefully it will give you enough time / warning to get a good whack or two on the lowlife trying to take it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A little overdue, but it is all completed and welded to my trailer. It works great (kind of hard not to being so simple :rolleyes:) and gives me the peace of mind knowing that it will never go missing. I highly doubt anyone would take the time to drill out the bottom and drain the gas, but you never know, and I have seen crazier things happen. :D

·
Registered
946 Posts
Looks good! Not sure why there are so many naysayers. At least you can walk into a store etc and not have to worry about some dickhead walking off with your can.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
No naysayer here. I like it. Looks functional. Looks easy to make and looks secure. I'll be building one soon. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts