TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to run my antenna through the third brake light. How do I get it out to run the wire? Or do I have to drill through it? Thanks. I am doing this now and need help ASAP!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
On my '05 it involved removing the two screws. Then, the foam gasket is stuck to both the cab and the light. I used a razor blade to slice the foam all around. After I ran my Sirius antenna onto the roof, I applied a small dab of silicone by the wire and then screwed the light back on.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
I had the same question back in Dec. when I got a XM. I posted it up on customtaco.com, turns out that you would have to remove the head liner to access the two screws holding the 3rd brake light in place. One guy mentioned that he mounted the antenna on the back of the hood between the two windsheild washer sprays.

I took his advice, took 15 min. to run the wire (through a rubber grommate on the firewall), works great and you really don't notice it.

Link with Pictures

·
Keyser Soze
546 Posts
Just pull down the headliner at the back and stick a VERY deep socket in there to remove the third brakelight. Run your wires and reverse the process. It's quick and easy. I posted a full write up of the process back in the Delphi days, so you might want to jump over to the old board and do a search for the threads on this topic.

·
Keyser Soze
546 Posts
Here's my post from Delphi;

I found that could pull down the headliner directly above the rear sliding window and get enough room to get my hand up in there. Inside are two 10mm nuts on bolts with a long alignment "nose" on them. It takes a small ratchet drive and a LONG 10mm socket. I found one that was around three inches long. Once those nuts are off, the light assembly will pull loose from the outside. There is a gasket in there that you need to pull carefully or it will come apart. I routed the micro-coax under the rubber grommet, the into the headliner, across to the side of the truck and down behind the door gasket. My receiver is under the drivers seat, so it was easy from there.

Once you get the nuts back on, over the alignment nose, tighten them evenly until they are snug. Make sure the coax is clear and just press the headliner back into place, it's pretty resilient. I created a couple of wrinkles in the headliner material, but they have faded and are now gone :)
http://forums.delphiforums.com/tacomaterritory/messages?msg=59860.34

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it installed. Couldnt find the damn 10mm until I took the entire headliner down. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I just put velcro and let mine sit on the dash mat at the front in the center next to the windshield. No holes
works fine
I used to have it out side but it didn't work well either covered with snow or muddy splash.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
what is your current stereo system?
just curious
I am adding xm/sirrius to my Alpine HU

1 - 10 of 10 Posts