TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions wanted. I have read several other forums around and the consensus seems to be this is a regional thing. I asked a cop here in Wyoming who said it was illegal, but that everyone does it and "you just can't get through a light sometimes if you don't."

At least for me in my experience in a relatively small city this is BS and is also bad because we have a lot of red-light runners in the oncoming too, so we have these guys turning across traffic and then getting smacked. So many people do it here and I just don't get it. Timing it right, I always make it through just fine waiting behind the line (and rarely for more than one cycle). Am I the only one who has seen multiple accidents caused by this habit?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I belive it is illegal, you are stopping in an intersection and or cross walk. Yes, everyone in denver does it to be able to get through me included. I just wait untill i can confirm that oncoming trafic will stop or is stopped before going through. I have never been witness to a wreak but i have seen many close calls.

·
The Ex
2,223 Posts
Everyone in California does it including me. People behind you will more than likely run the red light to make that left turn with you. I haven't witnessed any accidents or heard anyone talk about it. I have witnessed, though, people making that left on a fresh green light before opposing traffic has a chance to start into the intersection.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Opinions wanted. I have read several other forums around and the consensus seems to be this is a regional thing. I asked a cop here in Wyoming who said it was illegal, but that everyone does it and "you just can't get through a light sometimes if you don't."

At least for me in my experience in a relatively small city this is BS and is also bad because we have a lot of red-light runners in the oncoming too, so we have these guys turning across traffic and then getting smacked. So many people do it here and I just don't get it. Timing it right, I always make it through just fine waiting behind the line (and rarely for more than one cycle). Am I the only one who has seen multiple accidents caused by this habit?
Blocking an intersection is ILLEGAL!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why the heck can't traffic engineers make turning lights longer then so that more left turners can get through at once? It just rankles me that people feel they have to do something illegal (for good reason) to get through lights. Seems like it'd make more sense to fix the problem with something legal. Oh well. I will accept that in some cities you might not be able to get through the light quickly if you don't do it. It just seems to me to be a less than perfect solution that compounds the problem (making the oncoming have shorter lights having to wait for people to clear the intersection).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts