TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at upgrading to six shooter steering knuckles from trail gear, anyone have any pros and cons to running them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I broke a couple of studs a while back.

It was kinda scary actually, just finished a big trip: Moab, then through the southern utah national parks to Vegas before a 9 hour blast back up the interstate. Remaining studs were finger tight, so pretty close to a disaster. Whole wheel was sloppy on the axle and that had worn down the tire.

I did look at 6-shooters, but after doing some research it seemed that some people thought this wasn't the correct fix.

Some thought a key to stop the arm moving against the knuckle was the right way.
Some thought just upgrading to ARP studs and always keeping them tight was correct.
Some thought adding a 5th stud was the way to go.

I ended up just upgrading the studs, and adding a 5th stud since it was free except for my time.

http://imgur.com/a/R9Lg6

Haven't had any issue since, even running 37s.

In any case it's good to get in the habit of torquing the knuckle studs every run.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to get some of these also. With my huge offset and spacers, I've been through a couple of knuckles already.
I broke a couple of studs a while back.

It was kinda scary actually, just finished a big trip: Moab, then through the southern utah national parks to Vegas before a 9 hour blast back up the interstate. Remaining studs were finger tight, so pretty close to a disaster. Whole wheel was sloppy on the axle and that had worn down the tire.

I did look at 6-shooters, but after doing some research it seemed that some people thought this wasn't the correct fix.

Some thought a key to stop the arm moving against the knuckle was the right way.
Some thought just upgrading to ARP studs and always keeping them tight was correct.
Some thought adding a 5th stud was the way to go.

I ended up just upgrading the studs, and adding a 5th stud since it was free except for my time.

http://imgur.com/a/R9Lg6

Haven't had any issue since, even running 37s.

In any case it's good to get in the habit of torquing the knuckle studs every run.
Yea I never knew these were something to be concerned about till 2 of them were gone. My wheels are sloppy anyway, ( less now that I got new lug nuts). Thanks for the imput.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I recently upgraded to arp studs and red lock tightened and torqued every thing to spec .

I check them frequently (at the same time I grease the steering pins)
Trunuin eliminator/ arp studs and you will be just fine .

My Toyota gets very abused here in nevada.
Imagine every trail run mobbing down a dirt road like a ultra 4 buggy and then finally getting to the (trail) wheeling all day and mobbing back / jumping on i80 and going 70 mph home .

I keep telling my self I need to mellow out on how hard I am on my rig ..... But every time I'm driving it I feel invincible.

·
Registered
447 Posts
This is the first solution to Toyota steering that I've seen that actually fixes the sheared studs problem. http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/keyed-steering-arms-flat/

With that setup, all the shear force is transferred directly to the knuckle and not the studs. Why TG didn't incorporate that into a new casting design instead of just adding 2 studs is beyond me...

Not only that, but Brian is local!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your input, I'm gonna think this through and I'll let you know what the end product is.

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
Brian is local and I like that. My only problem is the last 2 times Ive ordered something Ive been far from impressed with his shipping. However that being said I just tried him once more so we will see.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided to go Arp studs for now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good choice.

Now the trick is to remember to keep them tight.

Obviously bump up the torque a bit from the Toyota spec.

Nice clean arms and cones should help it all stay seated and tight.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good choice.

Now the trick is to remember to keep them tight.

Obviously bump up the torque a bit from the Toyota spec.

Nice clean arms and cones should help it all stay seated and tight.
Thanks!
Well found out that the missing studs took the threads with them so now I need a whole new knuckle.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So update on this topic. Got all the parts for 6 shooters just need to install them and test them out.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So how did they turn out? I use the 6 shooter kunckles , stock studs and marlin 4 hole arms toqued to spec.
Haven't got the axle back under the truck yet, but so far they are sweet. I now have a new problem, to see if I'm able to run hydro assist steering or do I have to run full hydro steering because of the room and placement of the pan hard bar. Soon as I try them on the trail though I'll give you an update. So far I'm really liking them.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haven't run any trails yet but so far those 6 shooters are awesome. Pain in the ass to take off and put on but awesome. Just re-shimmed the front and had to remove the shocks to get the 6 shooters off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
Felix
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing