TTORA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious if anybody has tried trail gears six shooter set up? i am building a sas'd runner for a guy and he is set on running these knuckles and high steer. any input?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Do you really think they are worth it? I'm running ARPs for quarter of the price of the upgrade. Also the T-G TREs FUCKING SUCK, CHEAP CHINA POSs!

·
Bear's Chauffeur
2,240 Posts
Yeah a buddy of mine got him and he said he was not impressed and they where a bitch to install. He said he wished he hadn't of done it. And you have to get the backing plate eliminator cause there is no way to make the factory one work with out just destroying it or having it rub somewhere.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I'm running ARP's with hydro assist and I don't babby it...

Never had a problem. I'm going to add a 5th stud and be done with it, never look back. The biggest problem is when people don't do maintance on their vehicles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
On the other side-
I was the winner of the TG 6 stud giveaway on Pirate a couple months ago. Dont think that swayed me to their side. It showed up and i got out my magnifying glasses to find fault.
Its a bomber setup with no fitment issues. Very stout. The tie rod and drag link are larger dia./thicker guage than my "old" All Pro. The arms are huge and beautiful.
The Knuckles are the same. And as a bonus are reversible, should you ever bust one (and happen to have a spare).
Yes, the TRE's (though no issues yet) do seem lesser than stock FJ's, but do have a service zerk on the top.
Yes, cant use a backing plate. Just cut the inner mounting ring off your stock ones if you need to save $15.
Trail Gear has its Issues, dont we all. But I do think they did a great job and happened to fill a void that was needed in Toy community.
Course, I got mine for freeeeeeee

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
On the other side-
I was the winner of the TG 6 stud giveaway on Pirate a couple months ago. Dont think that swayed me to their side. It showed up and i got out my magnifying glasses to find fault.
Its a bomber setup with no fitment issues. Very stout. The tie rod and drag link are larger dia./thicker guage than my "old" All Pro. The arms are huge and beautiful.
The Knuckles are the same. And as a bonus are reversible, should you ever bust one (and happen to have a spare).
Yes, the TRE's (though no issues yet) do seem lesser than stock FJ's, but do have a service zerk on the top.
Yes, cant use a backing plate. Just cut the inner mounting ring off your stock ones if you need to save $15.
Trail Gear has its Issues, dont we all. But I do think they did a great job and happened to fill a void that was needed in Toy community.
Course, I got mine for freeeeeeee
Trail Gear did not design that knuckle, Marlin did. They simply took the design and started producing them for cheap but made it basically impossible for Marlin to sell them. (all technically legal, though poor ethics)
The void trail gear filled was the ability to cheaply mass produce parts.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Oh hell here we go again....... Let it rest already. We know some of you guys don't like Trail Gear now so be it. People are not going to stop buying stuff from them just cause someone bitches about them in every post that there name is mentioned in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
^^^^ No crap! Quit crying about it.I am tired of hearing about it all the time too. Back to the question at hand, I have installed a couple of these on a few trail trucks and they seem pretty stout. We haven't had anybody break as of yet. But like mentioned before I don't care to much for the (small) tie-rod ends. If it were mine I would install some good 3 peice chromoly heims instead of Tie-rod ends.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have the six stud steering arms and the six stud knuckles on my 85 4Runner, along w/ the ARP studs, and they were as easy to install as any other steering arm/knuckle I've done. Everything else bolted up just like before although I did have to clearance the knuckles for the Longfield 30 splines, but that is happens about 50% of the time it seems. I tested them at Tellico last weekend and they performed just fine, but I was leading a group on the moderate trails. They will get hammered on soon enough.

Some of you guys need to get your facts straight as Trail Gear gives Marlin credit for the knuckle design on their website.
http://www.trail-gear.com/steering.html

:welder:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Riigghhtt... umm, get a 17mm wrench and learn the difference between lefty loosey and righty tighty, get off your lazy ass once a month and run the stock shit. I don't get all the knuckle overkill with the toyota shit. I wonder how many 44 guys would kill for a 4stud arm?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.