TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was kinda curious as to what everyone thought was a good amount of lift for moderate trails, or for that matter, what amount of lift do you need for the trails you run or the type of wheelin you do?

Also, what do you think is necessary for the trails you do, for example, lockers, tires, gears, protection? Is it really necessary for 7-9" of lift on IFS? Just kinda of wondering everyone's opinions.

For myself, i don't see myself going any bigger than 33's on IFS, it would just be a lot easier to break stuff, although, 7-8" on 35's would look nice. Right now i have All-pro coilovers, downey shackles, deaver springs and 1" rb bl, for a total of about 4" of lift, with 285/75 BFG At's. Sliders, stock e-locker and tjm t-17. Seems to be pretty capable to me, although, i have not been on that many trails yet.

Just curious as to everyone's opinions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My vehicle is what it is for me. Its good enough to get me off the beatin path, that most production vehicles can't go, and have the Toyota quality. I have a double cab with 33's, and it's built to take the family, and to go on most trails besides those that are intended for short wheel base, low geared, and locked vehicles. I used to own a 1978 Landcruiser that I built up before I settled down. It was intended for trails like the Rubicon, which I did several times a year. Wouldn't even think about that with my IFS Tacoma. I love my truck though, and it fits what I do now. I don't have the money to drop into a money pit like I used too, nor the time to fabricate, and fix rock rashes.
If I were going to go more extreme than the coil overs, the new leaf springs, and 33's--I would buy a cheap vehicle like a Samurai to tow behind the Tacoma, or a 4 cylinder Wrangler.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Digger33 said:
I was kinda curious as to what everyone thought was a good amount of lift for moderate trails, or for that matter, what amount of lift do you need for the trails you run or the type of wheelin you do?

Also, what do you think is necessary for the trails you do, for example, lockers, tires, gears, protection? Is it really necessary for 7-9" of lift on IFS? Just kinda of wondering everyone's opinions.

For myself, i don't see myself going any bigger than 33's on IFS, it would just be a lot easier to break stuff, although, 7-8" on 35's would look nice. Right now i have All-pro coilovers, downey shackles, deaver springs and 1" rb bl, for a total of about 4" of lift, with 285/75 BFG At's. Sliders, stock e-locker and tjm t-17. Seems to be pretty capable to me, although, i have not been on that many trails yet.

you have plenty enough clearance. remember, it really just boils down to driver skill. im running the same amount of lift and tires and have the elocker. its taken me through some hairy situations but nothing serious. we had a few guys run the rubicon here in cali during takeover with just 33's and a locker. check out the norcal site gallerey for proof eheh.

·
norcal n00b
802 Posts
Yeah I think you have enough clearance and gear for moderate trails. I have 4" lift and 305/70/r16's, on a double cab with the rear e-locker. I also have sliders and a rear bumper, and its plenty of stuff for me and it all does the job. I'd say that a moderate lift, tires, sliders and the factory e-locker is all you really need. thats my 2 cents.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Digger33 said:

other than a little more undercarriage armor (skids) it sounds like you are set ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts