TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my skid plate fabbed up by a friend. The drawing I used was a little off. Here's some pics of it

I got the front bolted on, then went to the back and the holes didn't line up. The holes in the skid were about a quarter inch too far back. I then unbolted the front and bolted up the back to see if it made it any easier to bolt... I couldn't get the front any closer. Here is a pic of the hole.

The other thing is, it looks like after it is bolted up its going to be touching the alighment bolts right at the bend.

So this is my theory... the bend angles weren't enough. If I increase the bend angles by 1 degree or so, i can calculate it, then it will pull the plate farther from the alignment bolts and also bring the bolt holes back in line.

THe other option is to make the back holes oblong instead of circular so there is play in where I can bolt it up. But then it will still be close to/or touching underneath.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
When this has happened to me, and it has.

I fill in the hole(weld it up), grind it smooth and redrill the hole in the right place. You can scribe where your hole should be, measuring at least twice so you don't have to fill a second hole. Clean up your grinding marks a little, primer it, and then paint again, it will look nice, the holes won't look like you jury rigged it. Nobody but you will know that the holes didn't line up.

I am having a hard time picturing where the alignment bolts are touching the skid, so I don't feel comefortable giving you direction on that one. Can you take some pictures of where its touching? It may be that you might need to fix this problem first before you fill you redrill your bolt holes, or it might be as easy as little more trimming?

Wally

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
That is a pretty strong lookin bumper! One question though, why do you want to scrape Jesus on rocks? :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is a picture on someone elses truck that i just found... the arrow points to where the skid plate touches. Is it OK if it touches here? Should I modify the skidplate so there is some clearance.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ok im here finally after i got ur pm, mine went great, except i had to notch out the section where urs hit cause mine was too. when bolted up it would hit the a arm:(

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have seen several people tear up their suspension adjustment bolts in the front by hitting them on rocks. The stock skid barily covers this bolt and washer, the one you have covers it very well. .

How much are you lacking clearence? Would a 1/8 inch or 3/16 spacer welded on top of the skid adjacent to the suspension washer and bolt give you the cleareance? What if you ground out a little under where the suspension adjustment sits?

IMO its an ounce of prevention for a pound of cure.

BTW I like your cross! :D

Wally

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok how bout this idea.. about the holes not lining up... i just drill them bigger, no biggie... about the skid touching the alignment washer area... what if I added a couple of washers to the top side of every bolt. Enough that it would bring down the skid plate about 1/4" all around. This would give me the clearance I would need.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
pdxtaco said:
ok how bout this idea.. about the holes not lining up... i just drill them bigger, no biggie... about the skid touching the alignment washer area... what if I added a couple of washers to the top side of every bolt. Enough that it would bring down the skid plate about 1/4" all around. This would give me the clearance I would need.
Sounds like a good idea, but youll prolly have to put washers at the top too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts