TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the normal thickness for a skid plate? 1/8", 3/16"?

I need to finish up my front bumper w/ some skids and dont know what thickness I should go with.

Thanks!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Something thicker then stock, I'll tell you that much right now.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Design/ engineering are probably as important or more so than the "thickness" of the material used.

With that said, the industry standard appears to be 1/4- 3/8s inch if the skid is constructed from mild steel.

1/8 inch seems to be the standard for stainless.

A few are made out of aluminum and some of those advertize up to 1/2 inch thick!

The mild steel ones, are the ones I have had some personal experience with, and it takes quite a bit of abuse to tear up a 1/4 inch thick skidplate. While I have seen some bent up, none were breeched and better yet the skid prevented damage to the vitals.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Demello, if you read this could you chime in what thickness you guys throw on a custom front bumper? And what type of metal... SS, alum, mild?

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
i made mine out of 3/16's and made it as 1 piece than the 2 factory skids, works great but it weighs a ton

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What type of material would work best?

Thanks !

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
yeah you need to get those gears too so we can go wheeling

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
i would just go with regular mild, 1/3 cost of stainless, and easier to weld than aluminum, or make a steel frame, with alum plate if u want it lightweight

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
soon!

I wont need to do any welding, my bumper already brackets w/ holes all ready for a plate :)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
turbo4door said:
Thanks guys.

Demello, if you read this could you chime in what thickness you guys throw on a custom front bumper? And what type of metal... SS, alum, mild?
We use 1/8in if you want to save weight or 3/16in if you don't care. BUT we use that with a minu frame so don't use those thickness unless you build a frame! Our design relies of the mini frame for strength and the metal plate is just there to slide on!
Does that make since?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya, that makes sense you have a frame behind the actual skid to support it. Thanks alot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts