TTORA Forum banner

Budbuilt skids or rear bumper?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was hoping to get yalls opinion on this. I want to use the money i get for christmas for either skids or shocks. Which would be more beneficial? I scrape my rear bumper and hitch all the time so i was thinking of getting the bumper but would like to protect the undercarriage also. How well do the stock skids protect? Which would help more? I plan on getting one of these before the Windrock run. If i was gonna get skids, it would be the budbuilt package with the belly pan and everything. If i was gonna get a rear bumper, it would be a custom built high clearance one similar to this one

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/TacoCrazy/?action=view&current=DSC00130fix.jpg

What do yall think would be best to do first? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
that kind of depends on how well you like your rear stock bumper... i dont love mine anymore but i have a trailer hitch which im using as a rear bumper but hope to get the davez offroad rear bumper for xmas. the stock skids hold up as good as the stock parts from what ive seen (which isnt a whole lot since im still new to this) hold up pretty well but aftermarket skids are obviously better... so with that being said id go with what you hit the most. skid area or bumper?

·
Registered
992 Posts
i run neither :cool: hahah. i do have a receiver hitch tucked up under the bed, and i seem to drag that more than anything..

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
agreed, skids. I use them more than anything. that hitch serves as well enough bumper for now. and if your stock one gets messed up or your lower quarter panels get damaged, assuming you get a bumper like pictured, you'll be replacing all of that anyway. and messing up your bed/ stock bumper is a lot easier to fix than busting your diff or tcase on a rock. Skids all the way.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Skids

And beef em

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Skids/shocks or skids/rear bumper...I think you stated 3 things unless I read it wrong. If I remember your truck from SETO you've got that heavy Shrockworks bumper on your truck with stock coils and it's sagging like crazy. If it were me I'd skip the rear bumper AND skids and get some more lift on the front....the stock skids should get you by in the meantime.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks i didnt catch that, i meant rear bumper. I am about to buy some coilovers from a member on here but that defenintly comes first. And then i will use the money i get from christmas on skids. What is thicker than bud built and how do i beef them up?

·
Registered
525 Posts
weld some braces on it.... or well im not to sure who is thicker... im researching that for myself for xmas

·
Registered
223 Posts
ok my vote is for bumper, 3 reasons, 1 clearance. 2 you never know when someone cant stop as fast as you. and 3 i hit a moose tonight doing 30.

·
Registered
525 Posts

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
for your purposes, I think the budbuilt would be plenty strong ... you're not planning on smashing into rocks like someone i know *cough*colin*cough* ;)

I just asked him and he agreed that the skids would probably serve you better immediately compared to a bumper.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks that is what ill do for christmas. I will get to break them in at windrock. I also sent Colin a PM about some shocks if you would like to pass that along to him that would be great. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful, i really appreciate it!

·
Registered
992 Posts
most people on the forum can answer any question you have about shocks.. so just ask, instead of always pm'ing someone

·
Registered
947 Posts
ok my vote is for bumper, 3 reasons, 1 clearance. 2 you never know when someone cant stop as fast as you. and 3 i hit a moose tonight doing 30.

If someone can't stop as fast as you, mite as well let their insurance buy you a bumper. Go with the skids.

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
i cant find anywhere on buds site where it says thickness... i would guess it would be less than 3/16 cause i hear about buds deforming but never about skid row...
:2cents:
BudBuilt and Skid Row are 3/16's, Skid Row's deform too it's just less people running them so you hear less, Scuba has bent his.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
19 Participants
GOT COPE?
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing