TTORA Forum banner

Budbuilt skids or rear bumper?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
if you use it, its going to bend, regardless, get the one with the best fit and do what others have done to beef them up, ive seen some angle iron welded to the inside of the skidplate to help it retain its shape.

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
My stock skid is screwed so bad, I say skids it will help more than a rear bumper let the receiver take the hits for now.

And Budbuilt or Skidrow both are great, I'm gunna run the Sky t-case skid and make a front cause no one makes a front I can use

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Thanks that is what ill do for christmas. I will get to break them in at windrock. I also sent Colin a PM about some shocks if you would like to pass that along to him that would be great. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful, i really appreciate it!
Yeah, sorry he doesn't always get back to you quickly; he has been working like 5:30 am to 6:30 pm lately and is pretty much too tired to get online by the time he gets home. He should be able to check it tomorrow evening, I will remind him :)

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
most people on the forum can answer any question you have about shocks.. so just ask, instead of always pm'ing someone
hey know-it-all ;) my guess is his pm is about price/discounts from 4WP for the shocks, and that's not something anybody can work on like Colin. :D

·
Registered
992 Posts
i never said i knew everything, but i knew if he had a generic question about shocks, it would get answered quicker on the forum than asking colin directly.

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
i never said i knew everything, but i knew if he had a generic question about shocks, it would get answered quicker on the forum than asking colin directly.
I agree, but like I said, it was more than likely about getting some pricing ... so in that case, it would make sense to ask Colin directly.

Parker - you can always copy the pm to me, it is possible for me to get in touch with Albert @ 4WP the same way Colin does... or atleast remind him that we need to stop by there.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Lets see.. crack a transfer case on a rock or the like.. OR.. get a little bit of body damage on the rear bedsides or tailgate or further damage your stock bumper.

HMMM. Easy choice. I'd choose the option that'll protect your ability to drive home. ;)

Skids.
:2cents:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Lets see.. crack a transfer case on a rock or the like.. OR.. get a little bit of body damage on the rear bedsides or tailgate or further damage your stock bumper.

HMMM. Easy choice. I'd choose the option that'll protect your ability to drive home. ;)

Skids.
:2cents:
exactly! thats what i was saying before. the beds not that important and if you mess it up too bad bob and cut it like you did.

And as far as beefing them up, OP, buy some 3/16 or 1/4 inch (if weight doesn't matter) angle iron and weld it tent style /_\ on the skid plate. thats what Rolison and I did to ours one day. has helped mine out a lot and his also when he had the Runner. He has pictures of how we did it on here somewhere, just have to find them.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Im gonna go with budbuilt skids, thanks everyone for the help!
88cleve4runner if you happen to find those pictures i would love to see them but if you cant dont worry about it.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Im gonna go with budbuilt skids, thanks everyone for the help!
88cleve4runner if you happen to find those pictures i would love to see them but if you cant dont worry about it.
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/studbuilt-skid-188710/

got that for you. i'm not sure why he chose to weld it tent style on the left and not on the right. if i pull my skid off anytime soon, i'll try to remember to snap a few photos of how i did it for you. But basically, check the skid before welding anything on to make sure that you have enough room between it and the diff/other parts to fit some more metal, and then go to town. WARNING: it will weigh a metric ton when you finish.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thanks for the link. I understand now, but i dont know how to weld or have access to a welder. How long does it take to do it?
we did both of our's within a day. But that day also included screwing around, messing with my 63 chevy's and waffle house.

PM Rolison his roommate might still have some
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2073726#post2073726
here's that link to his roommates. never says if they sold. i just messaged him on facebook asking if they had sold or not so i'll get back to you on those. Really good price for them. i think its a skid plate, belly pan, and all mounting hardware for $400

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Budbuilt. Great guy. Great supporter of the wheeling community too.

Typically skids are there for "puncture" protection... there is also the weight vs bulletproof vs cost balance that ya wanna keep too!! ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
PM Rolison his roommate might still have some
I've got the entire Budbuilt setup for sale. A guy from the TX chapter wants them and I was planning on selling them to him in January when I move to Houston.

However, the purpose of me selling these was to help cover moving expenses and since I won't be getting the money for these until after I move, selling them locally would be very helpful.

Tacoman 12, PM me or call me if you want to work something out. My name is Paul and my number is 865-705-5904.

·
Registered
139 Posts
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2073726#post2073726
here's that link to his roommates. never says if they sold. i just messaged him on facebook asking if they had sold or not so i'll get back to you on those. Really good price for them. i think its a skid plate, belly pan, and all mounting hardware for $400
Chase is correct. IFS skid, belly pan, rear cross member and all mounting hardware for $400. Everything was recently repainted and is ready to be installed.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
19 Participants
GOT COPE?
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing