• Total voters
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about beefing them up......I have beat the hell outa mine, as did their previous owner, and whil they are in rough shape they still are protecting the truck.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Picked them up today, thanks Paul. Maybe i will beef them up later but I didnt realize how thick and heavy they really were and dont think i will need it for awhile. And i will be getting SAWs soon because im still sitting on stock suspension with the shrockworks bumper. It will be awhile until i get a rear bumper. Thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it!

·
Registered
802 Posts
did you guy get that skid plate to fit for Tacoman 12?

and look who finally got that bumper on. How many bends is that main piece that goes across the truck?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
did you guy get that skid plate to fit for Tacoman 12?
as of saturday no, i'm not sure if they gave it another try or not. He'll just have to redrill the holes. It won't be a big deal

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
as of saturday no, i'm not sure if they gave it another try or not. He'll just have to redrill the holes. It won't be a big deal
redrilling the holes isn't going to solve the problem. it completely did not fit because of how it was "reshaped" by the seller. Parker and his dad were going to call Bud to work something out about getting one that fit without having to pretty much re-fab it themselves - kind of sucks being as it was sold under the pretense of 'good condition'.... That'll end up being one expensive skidplate I guess. Not everyone is capable or eqiupt to do fab work (even something as simple as drilling), that's the problem here, if you buy something with the expectation that it will fit, and it doesn't... then what...? We spent a good bit of time talking about it with them sunday evening. Hopefully we'll get it all worked out, as that's a sour way for a 16 year old kid to learn about buying used from a 'trusted' forum like ga-ttora.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
redrilling the holes isn't going to solve the problem. it completely did not fit because of how it was "reshaped" by the seller. Parker and his dad were going to call Bud to work something out about getting one that fit without having to pretty much re-fab it themselves - kind of sucks being as it was sold under the pretense of 'good condition'.... That'll end up being one expensive skidplate I guess. Not everyone is capable or eqiupt to do fab work (even something as simple as drilling), that's the problem here, if you buy something with the expectation that it will fit, and it doesn't... then what...? We spent a good bit of time talking about it with them sunday evening. Hopefully we'll get it all worked out, as that's a sour way for a 16 year old kid to learn about buying used from a 'trusted' forum like ga-ttora.
i don't think (not going to use names) the seller is to blame for the skid? He clearly stated that it had never been put on his truck. All he can do is post it the same way he bought it. I guess trading Bud skids (and letting him fix this one and resell it) woulnd't be terrible. But Bud's are 3/16, thats what my skid is and i didn't use a drill press, just used a regular drill. If they don't have a handheld drill and a few bits they could buy a drill and bits cheaper than what they could ship all the stuff back to Bud and get the new one for. Thats why i'm sticking by redrilling the holes. Honestly, its what i would do, and its what 90% of the people i've talked to about this have said also. it really won't be that hard, i promise.

You will need a hand-held drill, several bits, punch, and WD40 to help keep the bit lubbed up and a sharpie to mark where the holes need to go.

Parker i'm not trying to say "tough titty" to you or anything Bud, honest. All i'm trying to say is, with used skids, this happens. Even if you get another from Bud, use it, take it off to do your oil or something, and try to put it back on; it is going to be tough to get back on. Granted it might be easier than this one, but regardless they are a pain to put back on, straight or bent. I just think taking this up with Bud and getting a replacement would be a waste of money after already paying a decent price for skid and belly. Just keep them and MAKE them fit. Ultimately i woulnd't call drilling re-fabbing, i don't know how to express how easy to drill the holes would be (scaled of 1-10, it would be a 8.5), but it will also save you a crap ton of money unless Bud was willing to trade straight up or something

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
If the skid has been reshaped, wallering out holes might not work. I've heard Bud will reshape/rebend skids for free. U just gotta pay shipping ... ouch!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Not everyone is capable or eqiupt to do fab work (even something as simple as drilling)
Well, one way to learn is to do

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thanks Nicole. My dad and I will be attempting to put the skids on this weekend as well as a rear bumper. We will drill out the holes to fit the steering rack brace and use ratchet straps or come alongs to stretch the skids out. Hopefully this will work. My dad spoke to Bud while i was at school and this is what he suggested. I think we can do it, its just going to be more difficult and take a lot longer than i expected. It will be a learning experience.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thanks Nicole. My dad and I will be attempting to put the skids on this weekend as well as a rear bumper. We will drill out the holes to fit the steering rack brace and use ratchet straps or come alongs to stretch the skids out. Hopefully this will work. My dad spoke to Bud while i was at school and this is what he suggested. I think we can do it, its just going to be more difficult and take a lot longer than i expected. It will be a learning experience.
everbody needs these every once in a while haha. I think i'm due for one soon... yep timing chain.

·
Registered
796 Posts
ok my vote is for bumper, 3 reasons, 1 clearance. 2 you never know when someone cant stop as fast as you. and 3 i hit a moose tonight doing 30.
Old post, I know, but did the moose get hit in reverse?:rolleyes:

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
19 Participants
GOT COPE?
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing