TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on going skiing with som friends in salt lake city next weekend. The only snow I've eve seen is whatever comes on tv. I'm from Houston, and have no clue on what equipment I would need. Anyone got any advice?

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
NisAznMonk said:
I plan on going skiing with som friends in salt lake city next weekend. The only snow I've eve seen is whatever comes on tv. I'm from Houston, and have no clue on what equipment I would need. Anyone got any advice?
You can rent the skis/boots/poles at the ski resort. If you don't have snow gear, you can just scotch guard some jeans. Sunglasses are a must if it's nice, goggles if it's nasty out. You'll want warm gloves and warm socks too.

Take at least a half day beginner lesson, that will get you pointed in the right direction and make things less frustrating.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
when skiing dont dress too warm. when you first get into the snow you might be cold but as the day goes on and you start moving you will start sweating and then you will get cold. the best thing to do is start off with alittle bit of clothes and see how cold you get. Good luck and make sure boots stay very tight.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
tbplus10 said:
Dont let anyone talk you off the bunny hills until your ready, giving into peer pressure will lead to pain.

Have fun!!

Tim
What do you mean? Follow me, those black diamonds mean easy runs. :xdevil:

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mike said:
What do you mean? Follow me, those black diamonds mean easy runs. :xdevil:

Later,
....Mike
That was probably you that told me that when I learned to ski at Heavenly!!
I broke my ankle and my arm, then some basterd convinced me to take shots of Southern Comfort to get rid of the pain. Ever woke-up with a hangover and two broken bones?

Tim

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike said:
You can rent the skis/boots/poles at the ski resort. If you don't have snow gear, you can just scotch guard some jeans. Sunglasses are a must if it's nice, goggles if it's nasty out. You'll want warm gloves and warm socks too.

Take at least a half day beginner lesson, that will get you pointed in the right direction and make things less frustrating.

Later,
....Mike
where should i get the clothes (jackets, goggles, snow boots etc)?

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
NisAznMonk said:
A ski shop would be more then happy to take your money, and give you the proper clothing in exhange.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
NisAznMonk said:
if you have to ask where to buy SPORTING GOODS, your gonna have a tough time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jeans and stuff will work fine unless you want to go all out and get equipment. Then a good gortex bib can't be beat and a good jacket. I used to go in layers that way if I got hot I could strip a layer and keep going.

Musts are goggles (sun + snow = blinding), good gloves, and some warm socks. My toes and fingers were always the first thing to get cold.

Take lessons if you can afford it. People die skiing every year, esp when their balls get bigger than brain. Don't get frustrated and don't move on till you are ready. It is much less embarrassing to spend time on the bunny slope or those long winding greens than it is to bust your ass on a black diamond and have to get people to help get your shit that is still have way up the mountain from where you stopped sliding. I haven’t been in years but after a few days, and a couple of lessons I went from the bunny slope to doing some of the easier black diamonds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts