TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out:
http://app.vendio.com/stores/sf_itemHome.jsp?cid=11582461&lid=312337029&mode=1

Does anyone have this lift? I have seen no other lift that uses that type setup in the front. How is this different from a basic spacer lift? I can see that it replaces the front strut and appears to relocate the spring mount up top, compressing the spring, but i'm not sure. Pros and cons? Either way I get new struts at least.

My rear springs are sagged or I would go with a cheaper AAL kit, so this looks like the cheapest option for someone poor such as I am. Or is there a better deal that someone would be obliged to let me in on?

Thanks for the input

Alan
1998 Taco 4x4 regcab stock 5spd

·
Registered
836 Posts
I don't know what to say about the front, as long as the strut doesn't allow the axle to overextend, I don't see a problem with it. I think by moving the spring perch up on the strut they are just adding pre-load to the spring like a nicer adjustable coilover would. If you have the TRD springs, this is likely not the optimal setup. On the rear, howerver, I am running the Skyjacker springs. They give me a solid 2.5" of lift. I was a little suprised by the fact that they are only a 3 leaf setup like the stock leaves. They are stiff, but a HUGE improvement over the Downey AAL that I used to have. I think they offer slightly more carrying capacity than stock leaves too despite the fact that they don't look any heavier duty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In what condition were your rear springs in when you put on the AAL? I didn't think AAL's gave a worse ride over stock, and I also didn't know Downey offered them for years past 97 (u have a 2002), and furthermore, I thought after 97 they went with 4 spring (like on my 98) for Tacos and almost every other yota.

My truck is level right now, and because of the lower fender in the rear, it almost appears to be sagging, on the left the spring is in a slight frown shape, and on the right it is straight (funny, truck doesn't appear uneven). My springs are not cracked but I don't know if they would do okay with an AAL or not, but for the price I might try it over a new set of leaves. *If anyone has any AAL's they want to get rid of hit me up.*

No, I don't have TRD, and no I can't afford coilovers since I'm poooooooor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Would the Kit ROOTit is talking about lift the front and rear of the truck. (im in the same boat as him).

·
Registered
836 Posts
In what condition were your rear springs in when you put on the AAL? I didn't think AAL's gave a worse ride over stock, and I also didn't know Downey offered them for years past 97 (u have a 2002), and furthermore, I thought after 97 they went with 4 spring (like on my 98) for Tacos and almost every other yota.

My truck is level right now, and because of the lower fender in the rear, it almost appears to be sagging, on the left the spring is in a slight frown shape, and on the right it is straight (funny, truck doesn't appear uneven). My springs are not cracked but I don't know if they would do okay with an AAL or not, but for the price I might try it over a new set of leaves. *If anyone has any AAL's they want to get rid of hit me up.*

No, I don't have TRD, and no I can't afford coilovers since I'm poooooooor.
My springs were in pretty good shape when I put in the AAL, ~60k at the time. At the time, Downey made the longest AAL. The longer the AAL the better the ride......but any AAL will definately degrade the ride. I wasn't counting the overload leaf. For the price that they are offering the lift you're looking at, it's a much better choice than any AAL, except maybe the Deaver 3 leaf AAL pack. Check out www.wheelersoffroad.com for some quality choices on suspension products at good prices....and they are a TTORA sponsor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am familiar with Deavers, they are supposed to be the best leaf pack around, but (1) Deavers are pricey, and since my recent financing troubles, I have to cross them off my list (2) I don't see the 3 leaf Deaver AAL you are referring to, and I never have even heard of it. Do you have a link or further info on this set?

Also, I have heard the Toyota springs are hopeless if they have begun to sag, even the newer 98 style, and wouldn't more AAL's add stress to the existing leaves? I've not heard of anyone with this setup to know any better; anything is possible. I don't plan on adding any considerable weight to the truck, and it is a lil regcab, so I can settle for a light-weight leafpack setup.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i have the skycraper leafs i enjoy them way better then those stock things
i dont know about there fronts i also have used there shocks the nitro 8000s i think and they were great

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the lift sounds good and leaf packs sound like what I want, but no one has seen anything like the front setup in this kit? Damn, I would assume this setup has bee thought of before now, and Skyjacker is not the first ones to do it. I would really just like to know how it works exactly. Looks like I'll be calling Skyjacker on Mon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the "Performance Strut" Skyjacker lift. The ride is pretty rough with it. You will need new bushings and to drill out slightly the retaining washers for the upper shock/strut mount.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the "Performance Strut" Skyjacker lift. The ride is pretty rough with it. You will need new bushings and to drill out slightly the retaining washers for the upper shock/strut mount.

How much did you pay for yours and where? I talked to Skyjacker and he says no drilling required but I will need a spring compressor.

Does this kit hurt or improve articulation offroad? My theory is this: It essentialy pushes down on the front coilspring assembly as a whole--both upper and lower links, whereas a spacer lift just pushes down on the spring--thus lowering the lower link. They both increase the angle of the IFS towards its lower limit by 3", however, this lift does not compress the stock spring and keeps the ride factory (not losing the progressive rate and ride quality). As for articulation, I don't see how it will hurt it any, since it doesn't effectively delete any of the suspension travel (up/down).(?) [On second thought, maybe it deletes some of the uptravel since it moves the upper cup downward by 3"?] Correct me if I am wrong :confused:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My buddy just brought this lift. He had spacers and blocks before.. He installed it and hated it cause he had No flex in the front cause the struts were extended all the way. I told him to drive it for a week or two and let it settle.. He text me today and told me he fixed it some how.. Not sure how but I guess he's getting more flex now/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My buddy just brought this lift. He had spacers and blocks before.. He installed it and hated it cause he had No flex in the front cause the struts were extended all the way. I told him to drive it for a week or two and let it settle.. He text me today and told me he fixed it some how.. Not sure how but I guess he's getting more flex now/

Hmm, now I am curious. . .

·
Registered
95 Posts
You get a lift at the expense of downtravel. You have to make the center of the retaining washers like 1/16th bigger it's not like you have to drill the truck if that's what you think I mean. Skyjacker told me the same thing, but when it came to it I had to do this. I paid like $450 for the kit with AAL though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our company has been developing some budget boosts (3 Inches or less) for the 1996+ Toyota Trucks. We have a 2 inch front and 1 inch rear and we will have a 2 inch front & rear AAL combo. If you are looking to be more economical and keep your ride quality you may want to check out some of our lifts at http://www.fatbobsgarage.com/cart/index.php?p=catalog&parent=43&pg=1. I have other spacers that will give you 3 inches in production. Thought you may like to take a look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Our company has been developing some budget boosts (3 Inches or less) for the 1996+ Toyota Trucks. We have a 2 inch front and 1 inch rear and we will have a 2 inch front & rear AAL combo. If you are looking to be more economical and keep your ride quality you may want to check out some of our lifts at http://www.fatbobsgarage.com/cart/index.php?p=catalog&parent=43&pg=1. I have other spacers that will give you 3 inches in production. Thought you may like to take a look.
That's some nice looking stuff, and I don't see anyone with prices that good. I like the fact that the customer has the option to go strut or spring spacer in the front. Do these do the same thing as the Skyjacker performance strut lifts in that it isn't quite as permanent and it does not replace the factory strut assembly? So in not compressing the spring, you lose downtravel. But is this a bad thing? It's kinda something you gotta see in action to really know which one is best for offroad articulation (it's easier to picture on something with a SFA like my 01 Ram :) ). Problem is, I don't have a donor truck and a spring and strut spacer kit to demonstrate. Some people even say that spring spacers, in compressing the coilspring, will fatigue the spring faster than normal and cause it to prematurely sag over time, and lose lift. Which do you think I should go with?

My rear springs, as much as I want to save $ by throwing blocks and an AAL on there, for a little more I can get a set of leaf packs and have a much better ride. I also think that pushing on my already sagged (by about 2.5") rear springs will cause them to sag more, or worse, break, not to mention the crappy ride. "Leveling" kits are for rides with little to no miles on them, and that never were "worked". My dad's truck never really hauled much of anything in the rear except for a hard camper shell, and his leaf packs are almost as bad as mine after only 70K miles. After some time on most small trucks, they seem to level themselves.

So when will you be offering a 3" rear lift spring set with your kits? I know of a lot of Tacos zooming around on saggy rear springs like mine.:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a set of used fabtech coilovers if you are interested $240 plus shipping

Hey guy, I PM'd you on the coilovers, my offer included, if you still got em.

I am going to spend some of my tax refund money and go for the best setup up front, the coilover system. I figure I will pay a couple hundred more all in all, and the leaf springs sold by a sponsor on this site has very reasonable prices on leaf packs. Now all I need are some front/rear bushings and I'll be set!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts