TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, we cant seem to go more than a month without hearing that another OHV system is being shut down.

This time it is the Sand Lick Fork area in Daniel Boone National Forest. Locally referred to as Slade.

This is another national forest system that is being proposed to be shut down.

Click on the Sand Lick Fork Watershed Project Description under the "Scoping" header on the link below.

the first two pages give a description of what the area is like, and pages 3 and 4 talk about OHV use.

The proposed actions for OHV use are outlined on pages 10, 11, and 12.

Page 12 also tells you how to comment to voice your opinions.

I have not had a chance to explore this area yet, but i hopefully will before it gets shut down.

http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_project_exp.php?project=18901

·
Registered
377 Posts
Call to action!

Wednesday Dec. 12 at 7PM
Powell County Courthouse
525 Washington Street
Stanton, KY 40380

The Powell County, KY Fiscal Fiscal Court will have the issues of Sand Lick on its agenda. The issue at hand is the plans of the United States Forest Service for next spring, which is to deny recreational access to multiple uses and inexplicably flood the Sand Lick area.

Project Webpage

http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_project_ ... ject=18901

To impact the situation, you must show up in person! Carpool!

Please the spread the word online and at home, bring friends, and family to show your support for keeping public lands open to the public in the Sand Lick area and all public lands. This is an important step in the fight and a necessary one so please make the trip to Powell County and help the cause!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Slade,KY

Call to action!

Wednesday Dec. 12 at 7PM
Powell County Courthouse
525 Washington Street
Stanton, KY 40380

The Powell County, KY Fiscal Fiscal Court will have the issues of Sand Lick on its agenda. The issue at hand is the plans of the United States Forest Service for next spring, which is to deny recreational access to multiple uses and inexplicably flood the Sand Lick area.

Project Webpage

Please the spread the word online and at home, bring friends, and family to show your support for keeping public lands open to the public in the Sand Lick area and all public lands. This is an important step in the fight and a necessary one so please make the trip to Powell County and help the cause!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Call to action!

Wednesday Dec. 12 at 7PM
Powell County Courthouse
525 Washington Street
Stanton, KY 40380

Project Webpage

Date is wrong!!!!!!!Heres the new link.
Call to action!

Tuesday Dec. 11th at 7PM
Powell County Courthouse
525 Washington Street
Stanton, KY 40380

Project Webpage

·
Registered
377 Posts
Previous date is wrong. Heres the correct link.
Call to action!

Tuesday Dec. 11th at 7PM
Powell County Courthouse
525 Washington Street
Stanton, KY 40380

Project Webpage

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was never a big fan of "Slade". It's such a hodgepodge of private and "public" land. The access changes every time you go and there are no reliable maps. I know my way around just well enough to get "lost" about half the time. Don't get me wrong the terrain is fabulous! I just prefer to be able to concentrate on the technical apects of the trail rather than "where the H am I?", "what did that sign in the mud say?". There's enough adventure on the trail without having to worry about getting shot, arrested or both.

That being said I think its ludicris to try and "reclaim" that area. Pipeline is not and never will be natural landscape feature. No entity is ever going to bear the expense of removing all the abandoned industrial junk (not to mention all the other garbage thats been added to it over the years). I do at least one of the cleanup rides with the Zoe VFD every year and the general disrespect for the land never ceases to amaze me. You can't blame it all on "outsiders". Its been a common practice for generations of "locals" (in many places not just here) to use the backwoods as a personal dump. The Sand Lick Watershed could be a "poster child" for the few bad apples effect. Its sad but I believe it's only a matter of time before most if not all gov't lands will be closed to our sport (at least for "full size" 4x4s). As that happens hopefully the private sector will have some financial incentive to "preserve the land" the way it is (vs. the gov't playing god with our tax dollars).

I need a bigger back yard...

·
Registered
2 Posts
:lmao:I have only been to this blog a couple time by keep finding myself coming back.:welder:It is very content rich. I will be back soon. Good job! Keep it up! Thanks!... :):saw:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Slade Update. This is Legit.

So the main road that goes through Sand Lick and also up to Big Bend Ridge is county road 1057 Sand Lick Road (The Narrows Road AKA). The USFS illegally closed and damaged this road in 2006 without the county consent. The county judge executive sent the county road crew in last Tuesday to reopen the road, which they did. On Friday, the USFS illegally retrenched the road and also posted a ranger to guard the county road. This morning, the ranger threatened to arrest the county road workers who showed up to reopen their road along with the judge if he showed his presence.

The judge has proof the road is county road 1057 Sand Lick Road and also that the documentation the USFS used to close and damage it was filled with errors, including stating the road was not a county road.

On Wednesday April 3rd at 9AM, the judge is leading his county road crew to reopen it once and for all.

WE NEED ALL THE PEOPLE WE CAN TO BE THERE TO SUPPORT THE COUNTY AND RECLAIM OUR ROADS BY EXERCISING THEIR RIGHTS AS AMERICANS.

Sand Lick Road is a few miles down Big Bend Road just outside Zachariah, KY (41301) which is in between Slade KY and Beattyville, KY.

Please spread the word and help show the public is not going to allow our access to be taken illegally. Be there to support our county and access to our forests in general. There are hundreds of miles of county roads in the national forest, this is the first of many we are taking back from illegal closures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts