TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
smokintacoma said:
Has anyone ever used these products? Do they work, and is it worth using along with synthetic motor oil?
DuPont created Teflon, and they say it's not recommended to use as an additive in motor oil.

Later,
....Mike

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
smokintacoma said:
Has anyone ever used these products? Do they work, and is it worth using along with synthetic motor oil?
Save your money.
There was a large lawsuit filed against Slick 50- Basically Lots of false/unproveable claims.

With that said (when I was in High school)- I use to use the stuff in my isuzu Rodeo- I changed the oil with regular dino oil every 3K and would use 1/2 a bottle of slick 50 every oil change.
At $12-15, I probably could have just used synthetic. I sold my Rodeo with the engine purring at 185K miles. Did Slick 50 do any harm...probably not.
Did slick 50 any benefits- who knows?
I suspect my regualr oil change were the key, not the Slick 50.

Save your money.

·
Registered
793 Posts

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
smokintacoma said:
I beleave it was dualube's commercial that ran car with no oil. I guess it was treated with dyno oil and dualube so they drained the oil and it looked like they were driving in the steets of SF. Just like the tornado fuel saver its all a bunch of crap. Stick to synthetic oil and you should be all good.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yea, Dupont says not to put Teflon in your engine. That should be explination enough.

Duralube and many of simular products are full of clorine. That is a very slippery substance as is clorine bleach, but it reacts to moisture to create hydrocloric acids. Metal does not react well to hydrocloric acid.

If you use a preminum synthetic oil like AMSOIL, NEO and I think one other one (not RedLine) you have the best possible additive package in the maximum levels that will not cause harm. It can be over done and that is why AMSOIL says to NEVER use additives with their oil. Keep it simple and you have no worries.

My Maxima had 300,000 miles on it. No repairs needed to the engine or the tranny in that time. Never had to add any oil on as long as 24,000 mile oil changes, never smoked on start up, nothing. Ran like day one. Unfortuneately, the AMSOIL does not protect well against those pesky deer. Replaced it with a Murano.

·
Registered
612 Posts
smokintacoma said:
Don't put that $hit in your engine man. I have no idea what they were thinking when they designed Slick 50.

·
Registered
612 Posts
TuRD03 said:
I try to run all my engines on only 6oz of Duralube or astroglide and no motor oil. never a problem.
Sarcasm or stupidity? :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts