TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up well I have these sweet sliders but no way to make em stick? a friend said we could use the 220v at his shop but thats a no go, and I dont want to use the 110v I have..so just thought id check to see if anyone on here would happen to have 220 I could use? Ill be more than willing to provide beer, and cover consomables.. Any help or advise would be appritated

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I'm way further south in Colorado Springs so I may not be any help... but if nothing else pans out send a PM

>>Dan

Here's my sliders:

And I need a taller Hi-Lift... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
And I need a taller Hi-Lift... :rolleyes:
[hijack]Just chain or strap the axle up to the frame before you lift it so the suspension doesn't droop. Works much better (& much safer) than lifting it higher[/hijack]

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why?

What type of welder is it?

if its welded correctly, there is no problem using a 110V welder.
Its a lincoln sp 135t? I know the frame is pretty thin but the scab plates on sliders are 1/4, so just want sure?

Just bevel and high heat?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Yeah clean bother surfaces very well, Bevel, and keep the gun mainly on the 1/4 and feather it into the frame, making sure you are getting penetration on both surfaces.

Also make sure it is plugged into an outlet with at least a 20 amp breaker

If you havent welded much, i would pratice before hitting the truck.

I built my entire truck with a Lincoln 110, i think the 140, but would have to check

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
[hijack]Just chain or strap the axle up to the frame before you lift it so the suspension doesn't droop. Works much better (& much safer) than lifting it higher[/hijack]
I was just checking the glue on the sliders; me and strap/axle go way back.

>>Numbnuts Dan

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah clean bother surfaces very well, Bevel, and keep the gun mainly on the 1/4 and feather it into the frame, making sure you are getting penetration on both surfaces.

Also make sure it is plugged into an outlet with at least a 20 amp breaker

If you havent welded much, i would pratice before hitting the truck.

I built my entire truck with a Lincoln 110, i think the 140, but would have to check
Well I think ill give it a go with 110, makes it easier on me cause won't have to travel or move tools! Just havent had to weld anything ive cared about lately.. Ill have to find some scrap metal first

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
You'll get it!

Let us know how it goes. Have fun welding under the truck upside down :D

so, what kinda sliders did you get? you said they had scab plates, do they have gussets?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'll get it!

Let us know how it goes. Have fun welding under the truck upside down :D

so, what kinda sliders did you get? you said they had scab plates, do they have gussets?
Stubs welding. No gussets prob add some later down the road.
Yea I love weld splater burning you when ya cant move! It will be fun.

·
7,735 Posts
You'll want to put on those gussets before welding them to the frame. It's a neat trick trying to get the welder up in there afterwords.

·
20,355 Posts
X2, gusset them now, when they are easy to get to. It will also let you get more welding practice in before you hit your frame.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
It may sound nutty but try to weld the scab plates to the sliders first. I've found it's easier to weld the scabs as opposed to welding the top of the slider tubes when they're on the truck.

At any point did I come close to making any sense? :confused:

:welder:

>>Dan

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I would certainly put the gussets on before hand.

I put the scab plates on my sliders first and it worked well. It was a pain in the ass at the time though. Messure 500 times, tack, break off, measure again, cut some off length of leg, tack, break off, measure......

·
7,735 Posts
Sliders are so simple, yet such a pain in the ass. Another vote for attaching the scab plates on first.

I'm in the middle of making mine. Mythica forgot the part about "balance on jack stands, hold one leg up, another falls off, get both set and slider itself falls off jack stands, cuss, throw shit, start over" :banghead:

I need better magnets.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
lol I dunno what you were doing Doug.

I put the plates and gussets on first then welded them to the truck. I don't remember it being all that difficult but it was a few years ago. Try using clamps instead of jack stands and magnets ;)

·
7,735 Posts
lol I dunno what you were doing Doug.

I put the plates and gussets on first then welded them to the truck. I don't remember it being all that difficult but it was a few years ago. Try using clamps instead of jack stands and magnets ;)
Probably figuring out the hardest way possible to do the easiest task like usual. :lmao:

How would you clamp the slider in mid air while measuring, cutting, trimming, etc each leg?

OP: sorry for the hijack

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't the frame straight? I only remember 1 leg being a little longer than the other 3 but again, it's been quite awhile.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well finally got my sliders on today.. I messed with the welder for a while to get it all dailed in. all n all went prety smoothly! About half way threw welding I ram out of wire so had to make a trip.to home depot, other than that all good.

They look great, and now no more jumping into the truck!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts