TTORA Forum banner

Bolt on or weld on?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the pros and cons of each, and which do you prefer?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
what are the pros and cons of each, and which do you prefer?
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here we go again :p:

soapbox: :xpopcorn2 :xpopcorn: :flamethro :deadhors:

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
If you search you will find lots of answers and opinions about this cause it has been "discussed" at length over & over & over again. That said I like bolt on with a u style bracket cause I think it is a stronger way to mount them to the frame.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have welded sliders, but wish that I would have bolted them on. I like would like to be able to remove them whenever I want. Some think that welding them makes for a stronger application, and some go the other way. It is really up to you. Search for Dick Fosters design in Tech/FAQ section. This has been :deadhors:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Bolt-ons!

They are every bit as strong and reliable as weld-ons (no matter what Dick says), but they can be easily removed when you need to do maintenance on them, or your frame rails (or to drop weight before a race).

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I know there is going to start an arguement but please refrane from replying with your opinion.About weld on sliders.

Because the slider strength is only as strong as the welds on the out side of the frame. Worse case senario is the weld bends or rips out of the frame. which I have seen happen before.

If it is "U" clamped or even if it has 2 plates "I I" one on each side of the frame it is a hell of alot stronger. Because in a sense it is boxing in your frame and clamping around it. It is vertually impossible for that to break unless the whole frame bends which I don't think would ever happen.And it would be alot easier to remove and paint every now and them after you scratch them up real good.

let me know if you have anymore questions.

and I want some popcorn Harley !!

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Bolt-ons!

They are every bit as strong and reliable as weld-ons (no matter what Dick says), but they can be easily removed when you need to do maintenance on them, or your frame rails (or to drop weight before a race).
Dick is a die hard bolt on slider fan

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I know there is going to start an arguement but please refrane from replying with your opinion.About weld on sliders.

Because the slider strength is only as strong as the welds on the out side of the frame. Worse case senario is the weld bends or rips out of the frame. which I have seen happen before.

If it is "U" clamped or even if it has 2 plates "I I" one on each side of the frame it is a hell of alot stronger. Because in a sense it is boxing in your frame and clamping around it. It is vertually impossible for that to break unless the whole frame bends which I don't think would ever happen.And it would be alot easier to remove and paint every now and them after you scratch them up real good.

X2.

With weld ons, you are only applying force to one small spot of the frame, or a small portion of the frame. With properly built bolt ons that U channel around the frame and have a bolt go through it, it will be much stronger. The bolts are just working against the force of gravity and keeping it from falling down. When in use, the load is applied to the whole section of the frame, which means my frame will have to twist off before my sliders budge.

I can also remove them and paint them, and I don't need to worry about getting paint on the truck. I can also make repairs off the truck and even replace them with no grinding at all to the frame.

Adding heat also weakens the frame. It also all depends on how good the welds are.

Even when I sell my truck, I can take the sliders off and sell them for a good price, and there will be no evidence of them on the frame (I used all the exhisting holes). Try that with weld on.

·
Registered
597 Posts

X3
cbi offroad does theirs like this (see attachment) and i have these and they are very strong. also cbi is a great company to deal with, with great customer service. bolt on all the way

Attachments

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
sliders are for bling....just use your rocker panels. thats what they're for.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I like the Idea of welding, because I want to be able to mount my sliders as close to the truck as I possibly can for clearance (just because I have the sliders doesnt mean I want to be hitting them more than I need to) Maybe I'm wrong, I'm also in the market for some sliders, and bolt ons would be much easier for me because I dont weld, but I want the sliders nice and tucked up, plus bolt on's are quite a bit more money.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I've never seen a set of welded on sliders bend a frame rail. Mine are weld on and have taken a pretty good beating since I had them put on. I see absolutely no signs of the frame bending. I do see quite a few things that make bolt on sliders better (like being able to take them off for any reason) but unless you are building them yourself, I just cannot justify the additional cost (almost 3X the cost of weld-ons!).

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Others might articulate it better, but the ability to remove an item designed to be consumed is smart engineering IMO.

They do get bent, they need paint from time to time, the ability to remove them to repair and maintaint them IMO is important.

I don't like welding on my back either, I would just as soon tack something togather pull it off and weld it up.

Wally

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
Have we not talked ENOUGH about this issue??????

Okay, maybe not me, but SEARCH already....
:google: :doh:

I have CBI Heavy Duty Clamp-on Sliders.
Check my website for the install.
My CBI SLider Clamp-on Install HERE!!!

Pro
- can move to another Tacoma DC
- Works just as well as a weld on - - IMHO :)
- load is spread through the clamping surface area, instead of only the welded area of a weld-on

Cons
- usually more expensive than weld-on
- harder to construct than weld-on

·
Registered
583 Posts
well you have to remember all those fuel lines and all that thar run along the inside frame rail that you would have to relocate in order to bolt them on i am getting trail gears gusseted weld ons

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm shamelessly copying Dick's idea of stainless "No Paint" sliders. Except mine will be made out of .188 wall square stock to try and match my bumpers.

Oh yeah, they're gonna be bolt-ons to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts