TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright my question is, is it actually cheaper to buy sliders already from say trail-gear or have them made? My buddy owns a fabrication shop but he is asking 500 for sliders which he says is a good deal but tràil-gear I found ones for 200 he says they are crap but I'm into mild wheeling/expedition stuff

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Pretty obvious you've never fab anything in your life. :rolleyes:
500 is not a rip for custom built sliders.
That said to the original post if you are only using your rig for light wheeling the TG will be fine, I would add more legs to them so they flex less when used as a high lift point.

My buddy made mine for free from extra steel laying around his shop- $500 is a rip. TG makes some nice ones- I would definitely go with pre- fabbed for less than half the price of your buddy's- that's not a good deal.

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
tg= garbage
add shipping
add installation
add extra legs/plates/gussets
add removal when they bend
add having buddy fix/replace
add time wasted

$500 for well built sliders and probably installed is fair.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thing is he just started fabbing and just opened his mobile business I just dont know about spending 500 on something im not sure will work

·
Registered
5,094 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
i bought some trail gear sliders then welded the legs and made the bolt on brackets myself to save some time but they didn't hold well for what i put them thru , for a dd/ light trail use rig they will hold up fine

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i bought some trail gear sliders then welded the legs and made the bolt on brackets myself to save some time but they didn't hold well for what i put them thru , for a dd/ light trail use rig they will hold up fine
alright thanks for the reply

Seems pretty simple to make something like this

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14288193&postcount=10

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14288206&postcount=11

can you cut a straight line ?

got a welder?

get everything cut and fit , and take them to a welder?

try not to make everything so tough

and by the way i beat the shit out of (ifs rig on 33"s)a some TG sliders on my taco and never had a issue with them..
no welder, only thing I have is a sawzall and grinder

"My Buddy" or Trail mart? WTF
"buddy" guess I should say old friend ha

Do you weld? If so, you could pick up some DOM sliders from LowRange for $140 and replace them 3 times before you hit that $500 mark. I've been bashing on mine pretty hard and they're holding up fine. I can't see spending more for mild wheeling/expedition stuff.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.php/yotamain/4runner/armor/rock-sliders-rocker-protection.html
Awesome thanks

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
tg= garbage
add shipping
add installation
add extra legs/plates/gussets
add removal when they bend
add having buddy fix/replace
add time wasted

$500 for well built sliders and probably installed is fair.
x2, I had Demello ones on my "expo" taco and the wore really well. Neighbor across the street just bought one from Stub Welding and they looked great, though he sold the truck before installing them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Do you weld? If so, you could pick up some DOM sliders from LowRange for $140 and replace them 3 times before you hit that $500 mark. I've been bashing on mine pretty hard and they're holding up fine. I can't see spending more for mild wheeling/expedition stuff.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.php/yotamain/4runner/armor/rock-sliders-rocker-protection.html
I'm about 99.9% sure those are trail-gear sliders being sold through low range. Notice the identical pics, and the other trail gear stuff being sold.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm about 99.9% sure those are trail-gear sliders being sold through low range. Notice the identical pics, and the other trail gear stuff being sold.
That's what I've assumed as well, even though the trail-gear name isn't mentioned, I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. I was mainly suggesting Low Range because they tend to sell TG products for less $$ than TG does.

·
Registered
193 Posts
And really, for what they are, they're a pretty good deal for a guy that doesn't have a tubing bender.

I need to pick up a set, but will probably wait for wabfab to have a free shipping or bigger than usual discount and save a few more bucks. (of course waiting for this tuition finance hangover to subside is a bit bigger of an obstacle for toys)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I've assumed as well, even though the trail-gear name isn't mentioned, I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. I was mainly suggesting Low Range because they tend to sell TG products for less $$ than TG does.
I actually think I'm going to pick up the low range ones, and add extra legs. I hardly ever wheel anything that comes close to hitting a rocker but protection will help not to mention a hi lift jack point

·
Registered
73 Posts
x2, I had Demello ones on my "expo" taco and the wore really well. Neighbor across the street just bought one from Stub Welding and they looked great, though he sold the truck before installing them.
What year? would he want ot off load those sliders?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I just picked these up from powder coat. i built them, all 1.75" .120 wall dom.

the guy wanted these to make a hi lift point off of more than a "rock slider", they will lift a 2012 duramax off the ground enough to change a tire but would probably not live in falling off a rock ledge situation.

these took me 2, 10hr days from start to finish if that helps letting you know how long it takes.

floating traction step i added for getting in and out of the bed

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Whether it's been said or not, it's wise to BLOT them on instead of welding them on.
I've had mine off and back on several times for a number of reasons.

I've also found that while it is a bit on the expensive side, stainless is the ideal material to build them with.
Stainless is not only tougher than regular steel but it doesn't not rust so maintenance is eliminated. Seems reasonalbe for somthing that you intend to beat and scrape on the rocks. However, as far as I know, I am the only soul around here who has stainless sliders.

I actually think I'm going to pick up the low range ones, and add extra legs. I hardly ever wheel anything that comes close to hitting a rocker but protection will help not to mention a hi lift jack point

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think I said this before Dick, but none of us will ever be as cool, as smart, or think ahead like you do/are. So just stop posting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts