TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
The good with bolt on are that they can be removed for service and do not block access to the rocker panel area. (for example I have air tanks installed in my rocker area).
Done properly, bolt on is as strong, actually stronger than weld on designs because they capture the strength of the entire frame rail where as most weld on sliders just weld to one frame wall weakening it. When you weld steel you introduce a heat affected zone that reduces the strength of the steel and makes the steel brittle. In addition you oil can or flex that side wall which also makes it weaker over time with metal fatigue. Each time you grind them off and weld them on again you make that area even weaker.
Basically weld on is only for lazy idiots. It's not rocket science to make simple U brackets to attach your sliders properly. You can even use existing holes in the frame to pass the bolts though. Only a knuckle head would weld something to their truck then go out and beat the shit out of it on the rocks and not be able to easily service it.
For the above reasons I did bolt on from the get go and have had them off and back on for several reasons over the years.

I have a set of plans I did for mine that you're welcome too. You may have to modify it for your truck but you'll get the idea and it's stupid simple stuff. Like I said, not rocket science. What you do is to build the brackets and stand off assemblies and bolt them to your frame, then you build the slider tube assembly. Then you position the slider assemblies to the stand offs and tack them in place at the angle you want. Remove, fully weld, paint if you want then bolt them on. After that you can take them off for whatever reason then bolt them back on in a matter of minutes. I made mine from stainless simply because I'm too lazy to paint and repaint while stainless is also tougher stuff.

I can think of no strengths for weld on sliders other than maybe two or three dollars cheaper, if even that.

What are some good points & bad points of Bolt on vs Weld on? Thank you

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Maybe Showstop can find some of the 'best of' threads on this subject :p
I wouldn't even know where to start, LOL

bolt-on

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Not everyone. I've never recommend weld on and everyone said I was crazy. That may be but while I may be crazy, I sure as hell am not stupid. LOL

I would get bolt on hands down.

Back when I got sliders everyone said to weld on...needless to say I regret getting them welded on. Mainly for "servicing" reasons i.e. repainting

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Regardless of the slider - - it all comes down to design.

I picked CBI's bolt-on and it has and still holds up through everything.
I picked bolt-on, because i am not a welder. :welder:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts