TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've made sealed boxes, round port boxes and bandpass boxes, but never a slot port box. I'm working on some plans for one, but I have a question. Don't want to end up with a cool looking coffee table.
Would the volume of the port be the same as the round port? So if I have a cylinder port volume of 163.28 would that be the same for the slot port? And still have the same tuning?

·
Registered
119 Posts
they are one in the same. It is either WxH for area of the slot port, or how many of what diameter port you want. Then you just have to find out how long it needs to be to give you a certain tuning frequency. I find that Slot ports sound better to my ears. Less chance of port noise as long as you keep the width above 1 inch. Remember, if you do 2 separate ports, you can't just cut one of the ports in half and expect the tuning to be right. Go to JL audio's website for more on that.

Danny

·
Registered
269 Posts
I posted your same question on CarSound.com and thats the answer they came back with.

"as long as the area is the same and you keep the lenght the same then yes the tuning is the same but if you use thicker material to make this slot port it will change the amount of displacement and there for needs to be acounted for..btw that is a big hole you figure a four inch port is 12.5 square inches"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts