TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the same set of eagle alloy wheels and 2 different sets of tires on my truck in the last 6 years. First I had cooper ST tires, all tires held air like a champ for about 2 years , then at about the same time all tires developed a slow leak. After another year of adding air every two weeks or so, I decided to ditch the tires because of the leaking and wet road traction became lousy despite plenty of tread left. Then I had a set of Goodyear duratracs put on the same wheels and all was well, no leaks. 2 years or so of running the duratracs, the leaking started again. Checked and retightened the nut on the TPMS valve stem, valve cores replaced. Still leaking and checked thoroughly for nails, cuts, etc. Just like the cooper STs the duratracs all started leaking about the same time at different rates. So again every 2 weeks I have to add air. one tire only ever needs 2 psi, the other two tires need about 5 psi and the worst offender needs about 10 psi every two weeks. Needless to say I'm getting pretty pissed. These tires have 70 percent tread left. Anyone have a clue where the air is going?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
check / replace valve stems to be sure.

If you've been wheeling...
dirt can get between the wheel / tire bead.
That can cause slow leaks.

It's possible to have a faulty wheel or bad tires,
tho' it's usually more simple.

Take it down to a tire shop and have them dunk
them in the water tub to look for leaks ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't think about dirt getting underneath the bead area. I bet that's it. Thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just a guess.... But based on what you are describing, I can't imagine this is a coincidence. So there has to be an issue with the wheels themselves. Maybe some surface issue inside the wheel where the tire seats, which is causing some wear at the seal? Did you inspect the wheels when you changed tires? Did you look at the old tires to look for the problem?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I'm planning on breaking the bead, cleaning and reseating. Is there anything to help prevent this from happening again? I've seen tire shops smear some goo/lubricant around the tire bead before mounting. Is that strictly for ease of mounting or is it a sealant and what could I use?

·
Registered
650 Posts
If your dropping the tire pressure for better traction offroad it puts you at greater risk for this occuring again. Run closer to normal pressure to reduce the risk. You will suffer with poorer traction by doing this though. The only thing that would prevent it from eventually happening again is staying out of the mud.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If your dropping the tire pressure for better traction offroad it puts you at greater risk for this occuring again.
Just the risk you take sometimes if you plan to wheel. I don't go any lower than 15 psi and I rarely have this problem.

What's the width of your rims you're running?

Oh...that goop you mentioned...I believe thats sealant.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Most tire shops just use a soapy water for lubrication/ease of mounting and to keep from damaging the bead. Nothing you can really do as far as a bead sealant that actually works in my opinion, they are available though. Most people just go with bead locks and alot of those leak slowly anyways. I'm running spiderlocks and have had no leak issues at all. They are also not DOT approved, but I have had no issues with inspections or law inforcment.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I believe they are 17x9

I think I did air down too much last wheeling trip. Also ran through a bunch of that thin silty Pennsylvania coal infested mud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts