TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

OK, some B*****d lifted my outboard the other day. It was a 9.8 Merc 2-stroke. Insurance is giving me some cash toward a new motor and I intend to spend it wisely.
The boat is a 14ft Mirrocraft that I use for fishing on lakes, rivers and protected saltwater here in BC. It's rated for 30hp(short shaft), but my budget restraints tell me it will have to be a 15hp. I've been looking at a Honda 15 4-stroke, Yammi 15 4-stroke, or a Yammi 15 2-stroke (2-stroke is 20lbs lighter, and both 4's are 99lbs).
Any experiences with these, or others? I've heard that Honda's had a rusty oil pan problem in the past. I'll need to use it for trolling and I've heard that Tohatsu's vibrate at trolling speed.

Advice much appreciated, eh.
S

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I've got a 9 or 10 i dont remember outboard engine, it's white i dont remember the brand but this weekend i'll get more info. But my buddy sold it to me, runs great but i dont even have a boat. If you'd like i'd be willing to sell it. No title so that might be a problem but i'm also in KS.... :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
my first reply

I have a 15 HP Yammi 2 stroke, it's 2 years old on my 14 ft alum runabout...
to say that it hauls ass in that little boat is understating it's power. The yammi's are excellent motors, especially their 2 strokes. 4 stroke is new for them so dont know about that. Honda on the other hand has always made 4's and have lot's of experience but the price would be higher I think.
I think they are both excellent manufacturers of motors and equipment so just decide if you want to save the 20lb's weight, which is why I bought the 2 stroke(and it still pulls my arms off to carry it) or if you want something less polluting, probably quieter, probably longer lasting and dont care for the added weight.. then go for the 4. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
BCFisher said:
Greetings all,

OK, some B*****d lifted my outboard the other day. It was a 9.8 Merc 2-stroke. Insurance is giving me some cash toward a new motor and I intend to spend it wisely.
The boat is a 14ft Mirrocraft that I use for fishing on lakes, rivers and protected saltwater here in BC. It's rated for 30hp(short shaft), but my budget restraints tell me it will have to be a 15hp. I've been looking at a Honda 15 4-stroke, Yammi 15 4-stroke, or a Yammi 15 2-stroke (2-stroke is 20lbs lighter, and both 4's are 99lbs).
Any experiences with these, or others? I've heard that Honda's had a rusty oil pan problem in the past. I'll need to use it for trolling and I've heard that Tohatsu's vibrate at trolling speed.

Advice much appreciated, eh.
S
We just got a 9.9 Honda 4-stroke to use as a kicker motor on our big boat. We have only had it out a couple times, but it is way better than our old Evinrude 2-stroke. The Honda is VERY quiet too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
4TACXOMA4
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing