TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my job got transfered an hour away from home. Im being relocated their for the next 3.5 months...its 60 miles away, and even though i will have an apartment, im still going to be driving there and back 2-3 times a week. So about 360 miles per week.My question is, i have a 3inch suspension lift and a 3inch body lift and im running 33x12.5's with 4:10 gears...i want to run 31x10.5's or the metric equivalent for these next 3.5 months or so, so that i can get that good gas mileage. But my question is, should i leave the 6inches of lift and run stock wheels and tires? or would that be too tippidy and dangerous? or should i take off the suspension lift and run the smaller tires just to be safe. I really dont want to take off the lift, but then again i need that 22-24 MPG, as oppose to the 16-19 im getting now. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
:rolleyes: uhm wow.

If you have the tires, they are mounted, and can be easily switched, then go for it. The smaller tires will be fine on that minor amount of lift. If you don't have them ready to go, you will spend more on the purchase/mounting than you would save in milage. Work should be paying for the fuel and wear-n-tear anyway.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aside from looking retarded, you'll be ok.
haha, yes i realize this. Thanks. As far as work paying for the mileage im not sure...they are faxing me the documentation today, so i will see. Good point though!

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that doesnt look horrible at all...hows it ride though? Is it scary going around corners?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Yeah that doesnt look horrible at all...hows it ride though? Is it scary going around corners?
The ride was like glass compared to my MT/R's. I'd forgotten what it was like when my truck was stock.

As far as driveability, it was just fine. I didn't notice any additional body roll or less control between these 31x10.5 and my 33x12.5.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Interex -- Let's get a profile shot. The above pic doesn't look bad, but it's probably because of the angle. Side shot should show more of a shopping cart look. :D

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
why not regear to the proper gear ratio for those 33s and get your mpg back...

just a thought

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'd like to...but regearing would cost me atleast $1400...and not only that, but i would go with 4:56's and still not be able to get 22-24 mpg on average...i've talked to people that have 4:56's with 33's and they say they get an average of around 18 or 19..which is what im getting now anyways. Good thought though!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The ride was like glass compared to my MT/R's. I'd forgotten what it was like when my truck was stock.

As far as driveability, it was just fine. I didn't notice any additional body roll or less control between these 31x10.5 and my 33x12.5.
Ok, thank you!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
i'd like to...but regearing would cost me atleast $1400...and not only that, but i would go with 4:56's and still not be able to get 22-24 mpg on average...i've talked to people that have 4:56's with 33's and they say they get an average of around 18 or 19..which is what im getting now anyways. Good thought though!
you're getting raped, for 1400 bucks they better include some lube. i'm doing mine this weekend, cryo'd 4.56s got around $650-$700 into doing it.

wish i got 18-19 mpg, more like 14-15 for me right now with 4.10s and 33s

but yea i used to rock 31s at times, had em on aluminum wheels so they were way lighter than my 33s on steel wheels. i'm only lifted 2.5" though.

31s

33s

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I drove my 97 extended cab from texas to Indiana with a 3"x3" lift on what equalled 29's. I was even towing a 5x8' uhaul trailer.

Then once up here, kept those tires on since I could not justify buying 33's since I knew I would be swapping the Ifs out for a SA. Ended up running them for almost 8 months. You will be okay.

But a word from the "wise", you won't be getting your gas miliage you did when your truck was completely stock, You truck eve with stock sized tires on it, will still have the lift which puts you higher in the air which also means more air resisitence.

But I would not remove any part of your lift, just regear if the need absolutely presents itself. Since you are in Ohio, there is a solid chapter which means members should know where you can find a gear installer cheaper.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, Thanks Bear!

I drove my 97 extended cab from texas to Indiana with a 3"x3" lift on what equalled 29's. I was even towing a 5x8' uhaul trailer.

Then once up here, kept those tires on since I could not justify buying 33's since I knew I would be swapping the Ifs out for a SA. Ended up running them for almost 8 months. You will be okay.

But a word from the "wise", you won't be getting your gas miliage you did when your truck was completely stock, You truck eve with stock sized tires on it, will still have the lift which puts you higher in the air which also means more air resisitence.

But I would not remove any part of your lift, just regear if the need absolutely presents itself. Since you are in Ohio, there is a solid chapter which means members should know where you can find a gear installer cheaper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts