TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the Smiley Face trail about a month ago and was very disapionted, all of the rocks seemed to be flat it was like someone had paved it. Yesterday I went up there to map it out for my father-in-laws jeep group to run and Oh MY Goodness!! what a change! I guess we've had some weather while I was gone or something. It was very tough. I got hung up a couple of times and was forced (by gravity) into some interesting lines. Unfortunatly, it seems some people still haven't figured out how to put their trash into a bag in the back of the truck so there was a bunch of trash to pick up.......

INteresting to see how trails change from one trip to the next............

·
Registered
572 Posts
I unstacked it after work one evening...and do so everytime I run it :D

It's my local stress reliever - I go home from Prescott Valley over Mingus to Smilely Rock, then take Perkinsville Road home to Chino Valley 4 or 5 times a year. It's a 2x4 trail in the BPOS, especially when going down hill...

·
Registered
880 Posts
crawler#976 said:
I unstacked it after work one evening...and do so everytime I run it :D

It's my local stress reliever - I go home from Prescott Valley over Mingus to Smilely Rock, then take Perkinsville Road home to Chino Valley 4 or 5 times a year. It's a 2x4 trail in the BPOS, especially when going down hill...
I love that trail, haven't been up that way in quite awhile, it might be time soon....

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
azredtaco said:
I love that trail, haven't been up that way in quite awhile, it might be time soon....
Yeah....maybe we should try to make a trip up there for a weekend run after AzRocks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
4xClover said:
Yeah....maybe we should try to make a trip up there for a weekend run after AzRocks.
sounds good to me :D

·
Registered
572 Posts
TBob said:
never ran it - where is it? any good or is it like desoto?

It's very, very easy, but scenic, especially in the heat of a Phx summer if you get on it early. Right now it's pretty barren since the oaks and other trees are in winter mode...

As I mentioned, for a moderately built rig, it's doable in 2x4 if you have good flex and a rear locker. In the Taco, it's fun, requires 4x4, but it's still easy.

·
Registered
880 Posts
crawler#976 said:
It's very, very easy, but scenic, especially in the heat of a Phx summer if you get on it early. Right now it's pretty barren since the oaks and other trees are in winter mode...

As I mentioned, for a moderately built rig, it's doable in 2x4 if you have good flex and a rear locker. In the Taco, it's fun, requires 4x4, but it's still easy.
I like it for the scenery and there's some nice spots to camp in the trees out of the heat

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
how long is it?

crawler#976 said:

·
Registered
880 Posts
TBob said:
how long is it?
not too long. could also be run with mingus mountain or a sedona trail. maybe 3-4 hours plus time driving to Jerome

·
Registered
880 Posts
seth_js said:
Tristan another camping trip up on Mingus?
been thinking about it sometime. Probably still a little cold up there right now. by april should be nice

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From the Jerome Fire Department to the Potato Patch Campgroung it took 2hours 40 minutes. The easy dirt road part was almost exactly one hour at speeds from 6 to 20 mph. The rest was just slow and easy. The rock garden was the only challange.....If I could have spotted myself while I drove I would not have got hung up.

Crawler, thank you for unstacking the trail! it was such a dissapointment to find a nearly paved trail the time I did it a month ago.

REX

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its so funny that you say it's an easy trail. I was "prerunning" this trail for my Father-in-laws CRS club. They either ride their Harleys or go off road a couple of times a week. We are going to do Broken Arrow, Soldiers Pass, Greasy Spoon and Schnebly Hill over next weekend. The only trail I KNOW that I wont have whining and crying on is Schnebly Hill. Their version of off roading involves senic dirt roads and picnics, not 4low and lockers. They thrash and struggle on the easy obstacles and look at my Tacoma like I've got a magic wand when I just walk up it.

When I agreed to lead this trip it was my understanding that there would be 4 or 5 fairly skilled wheelers. Now it has turned into a huge group of 46! It will be split up into smaller groups in order to fit on the trails and keep my sanity.

REX

1 - 20 of 96 Posts