TTORA Forum banner

smog headache

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  alexh 
#1 · (Edited)
uuhhhggg, so i long story short I failed smog for acouple reasons. first was the standard cali exstortion laws which required me to get a numbered rear cat @ 450$ installed. now Im fighting the catalyst monitor. i have no CEL but my matco tools MD60 is reading a P0420 below threshold bank 1.

so at the moment Im gunna run some cata clean and put 50-100 miles on the truck
if that doesnt help I'll change the 02 sensors
and lastly i guess ill need another new cat

toyota sensor upstream @ 307$ #89467-035060 ------ rock auto @110$ denso #234-9001
toyota sensor downstream @ 212 $ #89465-09370 ------ rock auto @53$ denso #234-4189

here rock auto lists all the OE part numbers that match the denso part #'s

how to set tacoma smog monitors -

amazon 2 for 1 @ 65$

See less See more
#7 ·
so i got all my monitors set but i still have a pending P0240 code. since its still only pending and the CEL has not illuminated I should be able to pass smog as long as i get it in before the CEL lights up... fingers crossed. and from what I understand there is no sniffer for my 04 here in CA

#9 ·
all monitors are set, code is only pending, it should pass. I now have a friend with an account at a local shop who will smog for me tmro. fingers still crossed.

#12 ·
i guess the cat numbers thing is new as of jan 2019... fucking bullshit because it has nothing to due with emissions

The smog stations says my catalytic converter is not legal in California. Why?
Since the implementation of the new STAR smog check program, smog stations are very careful in ensuring vehicles are equipped with proper/required catalytic converters. The smog check technician will check your vehicle's catalytic converter for an EO number/stamp. If the EO (executive order) number doesn't not match the correct EO number as indicated on the California Air Resources Board website for Allowed Aftermarket Catalytic Converters, your vehicle will fail the visual portion of the smog check as an "emissions tamper".

My vehicle failed the smog check for CAT Wrong Application

If your vehicle has passed smog checks in the past with a catalytic converter which is not passing now, and you are certain the catalytic converter used to be allowed for use on your vehicle, you might have recourse.

Under current regulations a pre-OBD II (pre-2009) converter can pass the smog check as long as it was installed before 1/1/09, and you can provide the smog station proof of the installation date and proof that the CAT was designed specifically for use on your vehicle (including make, model, year, and engine size). The following is a PDF by the California ARB explaining the new California CAT law. Contact the California Smog Check Referee Office at (800) 622-7733 for more information or to make a smog inspection appointment.

If you can not prove your vehicle's catalytic converter is of proper fit and design, or that it was installed before 2009, the following ARB Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Lookup Table will show you which ARB approved CATs are currently allowed for your make, model, year, and engine size of vehicle.

#13 ·
Hey it may be simpler than you think. If you’ve replaced or taken your car converter off, especially after being on there rusted for a long time... you need to replace these gaskets. One on any of the three connections along the exhaust system (pre-, between, and post- cat). Wire brush the connectors really good and put these in and torque to 35 ft/lbs.
I had the same problem on and off for 4 years. Replaced them and then it went away for a long time. Then I got new nuts and bolts, and it’s been a year CEL-free. The nuts can back off if they’re not rust-welded.
I still have the two OEM factory Converters that we’re on the truck from the factory. I’ve also had success with paint thinner or 99%alcohol mixed in the fuel during a smog check.
The bottom line: tiny exhaust leaks pre-cat can mess with the downstream O2 sensor. If you have an upstream AF ratio sensor problem, this won’t help.
Fel-Pro 60911 Exhaust Flange Gasket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C2E638?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Attachments

#15 ·
moral of the story is smog is a racket! as long as the emissions are deemed appropriate it should be A OK nothing else should matter.

I flew to LA from norcal to buy this truck and the guy hadnt smogged it but "prommissed" me itd pass...I told him if it didnt id be calling him. Luckily he covered the cost of the cat otherwise id have had to take him to small claims. I bought the truck unsmogged because there jst simply is not SAS'd 4door 1st gens available at a decent price in any state. If id have used my connection the first time they would have passed it for me...pays to know people, literally

i will replace those gaskets jst for the hell of it, thanks for that!

#16 ·
well here I am 2 years later HA

already past my due date. I paid the reg but havent smogged yet due to a cel P0136. looks like Ill buy another upsteam 02 sensor and replace the gaskets again and see what happens. I've been having a hard time even finding upstream CA legal #'d cat for sale online as it is jst a bolt in part. muffler shops quote me 600-700$ installed. they only sell a weld in replacement as to assure they get to do the work.

Im gunna list the truck for sale while the smog is good. Im over it, I want a stock truck, looking at the 2017 4cyl diesel ZR2

20K firm

Attachments

#19 ·
Beware of cheap cats...I had my OEM cat stolen (its a epidemic) and long story short 2 replacement cats eventually failed smog because most of the muffler shops use the cheapest weld in cat they can find to get more profit. The second one was so cheap it passed smog once and then the core came loose and started rattling around. I asked the muffler guy if he could do a proper direct fit install and he said no such replacement (BS).I probably could have bought an OEM for $1000 after all I paid.

So I found a direct fit Flowmaster on ebay for $250 and installed it myself. I think that unit is near OEM quality (7 years and just passed smog). I had to fix the pipe that the muffler shop butchered with the weld in. I don't advise weld in for 2 reasons - the weld in cats are probably all low quality and now you are stuck with weld in if you have to replace it again.

So if you need a new cat I would say get a decent direct fit and put it in yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.