TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 99 runnersrh 4x4. it is in ex condition with only 65000 miles. recently after driving for over a few hours and after sitting for a few hours it will blow oiley smoke out the tailpipe on startup. oil is good and changed reg. any ideas???

mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, ill have to try that, it only last for a few seconds, by the time you back out the driveway and put it in drive its overwith

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Could also be valve stem seals. Oil will weep past them while the motor is off and will burn in the first minute or two of idle after start.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Valve stem seals

Is it a 4 or a 6 cylinder? The only 6 i've ever seen smoke on start had major oil gelling from lack of maintenance. If you don't know the complete history you might want to pull a valve cover to check.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Over the summer I worked on two Lexus 3.0L V6 motors that were smoking on start up. We decided to do valve stem seals on them and upon pulling the valve cover this is what we found:

The stem seals were completely shot. We were really polishing a turd by replacing them, as the motor is not long for the world, but it gives people time to make plans.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Over the summer I worked on two Lexus 3.0L V6 motors that were smoking on start up. We decided to do valve stem seals on them and upon pulling the valve cover this is what we found:

The stem seals were completely shot. We were really polishing a turd by replacing them, as the motor is not long for the world, but it gives people time to make plans.
why the hell didn't you do an oil gel campaign on them???? between those two motors its close to 70 hrs

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
why the hell didn't you do an oil gel campaign on them???? between those two motors its close to 70 hrs
I'm sure the master tech would have done it if he thought it would fly. Maybe he didn't want to waste our time? :confused:

Finding an on-car valve spring compressor was a challenge, and then getting all that crap apart and back together was another ordeal with the massive amount of crud that had built up.

One was an RX and the other an ES, and neither received near the kind of maintenance they should have, obviously. I am not familiar with the campaign but maybe these cars were ineligible on account of being 6-8 years old.

We had another lady who had the engine in her '02 ES replaced under warranty because she didn't get the oil changed a single time in 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm sure the master tech would have done it if he thought it would fly. Maybe he didn't want to waste our time? :confused:

Finding an on-car valve spring compressor was a challenge, and then getting all that crap apart and back together was another ordeal with the massive amount of crud that had built up.

One was an RX and the other an ES, and neither received near the kind of maintenance they should have, obviously. I am not familiar with the campaign but maybe these cars were ineligible on account of being 6-8 years old.

We had another lady who had the engine in her '02 ES replaced under warranty because she didn't get the oil changed a single time in 30,000 miles.
odd.....if we get a gel motor and they can prove they have at least done one oil change a year, we do the gel ssp......maybe its just because i work in such a high volume store...:confused:

·
Registered
871 Posts
I did the campaign whenever I could its easy money! This guy has a truck though and those never had problems with gelling as often as the cars do. I could do valve stem seals in an afternoon and they paid 8 - 12 hours each car. If they were gellled it was a lot more work, but was still good money.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
odd.....if we get a gel motor and they can prove they have at least done one oil change a year, we do the gel ssp......maybe its just because i work in such a high volume store...:confused:
There is normally one tech for all of the Lexus work, and that's my mentor master tech, so he can't get tied up in lots of in-depth work. Too many oil changes, 30-60-90K services, and other bullshit to cover.

A couple times last summer he'd be doing a big job and I'd be in the other stall doing the radiator campaign and a power back door ECU campaign on an RX330 so we'd both be loaded down for most of the day.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sounds like the rx330 and the new sienna share the same radiator. And those rear window motors and ecu's are loads of fun on the sequioa.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Take whatever you can get. Now you just need one with the oil pans and exhaust manifolds! 16 hours in 120 minutes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts