TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As its states, noticed a good size puff of smoke when I fired up this afternoon, hadnt started the truck since yesterday (drove 350 miles yesterday). The truck was parked on an incline but that shouldnt matter. I then moved it accross the street and fired it up 4 hours later, still a puff... much smaller but still one. The truck doesnt even have 2K miles on it yet... what do you think?

EDIT: Turns out the 4.0 will slightly flood itself when the engine is started cold and stopped very quickly.. like starting moving out of the driveway and shutting it down.. I guess its a byproduct of the drive-by-wire and the ECU.... fuel flow is 3x normal idle when the engine is cold, so it makes sence. I guess its common, thou usually such a small puff 99% of people wont notice it.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C

·
0 Posts
I have almost 60,000 on my 05 4 cyl 2.7 VVTI, and have never seen smoke. :confused:

·
Registered
883 Posts
myne doesn't have a puff at all i dont think, it has 1700 and im gonna change the oil on it tommorow to mobil5000, and then change it in about 3000 miles to synthetic. i wouldn't even bother messing with it, take it to the dealer and make sure its doing it so they can see that theres something wrong.

C

·
0 Posts
I know its odd.... I did change the oil at 1K, but that still shouldn't affect it.

I would take it to the dealer... Tell them what happend and have it reported on your trucks record with mileage reported by the dealer in their computer for possible future warranty purposes. Get paperwork, keep it.

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
18k on mine and no smoke.

·
Registered
113 Posts
15k on mine and no smoke. I'd definately have a dealer check it out!

·
Registered
883 Posts
i wonder if the oil change could have something to do with this, because toyota does use a special oil to help break the engine in quicker, and if you remove it and put in something else, the seals may not set right. I am now debating on changing my oil. Im at 1700 right now, but i think i might let it go to atleast 2500 now just to be safe. when did everybody who doesn't have the problem change their oil and what type did you guys use?

·
Registered
35 Posts
4000 miles, no startup smoke when its warm out (obviously when its cold there is some steam coming out, but its just water vapor like every other car). Didn't change my oil yet because, as stated previous, Toyota uses a special blend designed to help your motor break in for the first 5000 miles. I don't think changing it at 3000 would hurt it, but 1700 is too soon I think, 1000 is WAY too early.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if changing the oil early has meant your valves seats and possibly rings haven't set properly. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it, really. Just wait for the stuff to break in, which may take longer and not be as good for the motor since you changed out the special break-in oil.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Could someone please post a link to somewhere that tells about toyota's "special break in oil". Where did you guys hear about this "oil"?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Could someone please post a link to somewhere that tells about toyota's "special break in oil". Where did you guys hear about this "oil"?
Exactly, nothing mentions this special oil, or not to change it....

My family has always changed the oil on new rigs in the first 500-1000 miles, never had an issues.. 350's, 454's, 5.9 Cummins, 4.0L
s (2), etc.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Exactly, nothing mentions this special oil, or not to change it....
FWIW. I asked my dealer and he said 30 years ago many manufactures used it but not anymore. Tolerances are so good now that there is no need.

Also My dealer offered a free service / oil change at 1000 miles. Dont think they would do this on all new cars they sell if it caused any problems, they would be out of business...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oh and I did do the change at 1000 miles, i ahve 6000 now, and I have no smoke.
I think your oil change is irrelivent, to the smoke...

·
Registered
60 Posts
if there was a "special Oil", that was critical to engine break in, the owner's manual would definitely mention it. I want to see something from "toyota" that states this, not some link to a moron here who heard this from his "neighbor".

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks like a few people at toyotanation have had this, mine is only 2 seconds worth... and it is a new engine. I have just shy of 2000 miles, but only 44 hours on it.. thats a average of 45mph.. .so it probally hasn't been worked as hard as an engine that took longer to get 2000 miles... I will let the dealer know, I have a couple small things to take it in for so it will get documented.

I also almost missed the puff, I only noticed it becuase I looked in the right mirrror to back down my driveway, so its possible I missed it before or that others have mised the fluke on their rig.

·
Registered
883 Posts
some dealers say 5000, others say 3000. a friend of myne whos a technician at the dealer said 3000. i'll just wait til about 2500 and go to syn

1 - 20 of 83 Posts