TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
smoked them out, and came out badass... i just need to find a way to make em shinny, the clear coat i put on didnt do too much, even after wetsanding.

i used window tint from the local hobby store, and masked offed the center brake light. i did about 8-9 coats with the tape on, then another 4-5 with it off.

i dont think nobody smoked their taillights this light on a silver 05+
what do you guys think??

·
Registered
266 Posts
that looks nice but it only go's with some trucks (urs beeing one)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Write Up On Smoking TailLights

the things you will need:

* 2-3 cans of Window Tint from your local hobby store (Model Master Transparent Black. part# 2949) ($5 each for SMALL 3oz cans)
* fine-line/pinstriping tape ( i did not have this, and could not find it for the life of me. so i had to improvise. i used the blue painters tape, and cut along the edge of the tape about 1/8-3/16ths [long enough to do the whole cirlce] and you have your home-made fine line tape)
* Clear Coat (i used Rustoleums Crystal Clear Enamel. [i dont recomend this due to the shine not coming well at all])
* 800+ grit sandpaper

now step by step what to do:

* pull off the taillights (two 10mm bolts on each side). they will be Very hard to pop out of the clips, to pull them out right, first pull on the bottom side of the taillight straight back/up, you will hear a loud pop/snap (dont worry you didnt break anything), and then pull the top out (only two clips).
* dont forget the 3rd brake light, two screws hold it on. star type screws (i dont know what size, i just got a random bit and worked first time) (Note: there will be a think black weather stripping, dont worry if it falls off. keep it.

* wetsand the lens's untill you get a dull unshiny finish.
* wipe down lens's with acetone/laquer thinner.
* use your fine line tape to mask off the outer edge of the 'brake light' cirlce, then the side part of the brake light. then fill in your fine line circle with masking tape.
* wipe it down once more with the acetone/laquer thinner.
* lay parts side by side so you can make sure you are getting even coats on each of them.
* use the window tint and spray one very light coat. (do this as many times as you want, about 10 minutes inbetween each coat. [to get my look 8-9 coats])
* wait about 20-30 minutes before taking off the masking tape.
* clean the untinted parts with the acetone/laquer thinner with the corner of a terrycloth (becareful not to wipe off the newly sprayed tint)
* spray another light coat ( again, repeat untill desired finish. [for my look, i did 4-5 coats more])

* wait about 30minutes before using your clear coat
* spray on your clear coat lightly, wait about 5 minutes inbetween each coat (i did about 5 coats
* let dry for 30 minutes
* wetsand and buff polish

i have not wetsanded very much, and dont have access to a buffer, so mine look bumpy/dull i will try a differ clear coat and more wetsanding soon.

only pictures i took in the process:

these were taken RIGHT AFTER tape was removed.

FINISHED PRODUCT

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i think it would look good if they were shiny like you said.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks nice, fits that truck good. I did that on the old Cherokee I had, and the first time they turned out like yours, kinda dull.

To get them glossy I went over them with about 4 medium-heavy coats of clear, then one really thick one, almost to the point of making the paint run. Then I wetsanded the crap outta them, starting with like 700 grit to get the runs out, worked up to 2000 grit. Then I buffed them with some rubbing compound and a buffer, followed by buffing compound. The dang things were like glass when I was done, definately worth the effort.

Good luck, and post some more shots if you give that a shot.

-Chris

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks nice, fits that truck good. I did that on the old Cherokee I had, and the first time they turned out like yours, kinda dull.

To get them glossy I went over them with about 4 medium-heavy coats of clear, then one really thick one, almost to the point of making the paint run. Then I wetsanded the crap outta them, starting with like 700 grit to get the runs out, worked up to 2000 grit. Then I buffed them with some rubbing compound and a buffer, followed by buffing compound. The dang things were like glass when I was done, definately worth the effort.

Good luck, and post some more shots if you give that a shot.

-Chris

thanks man ill keep this in mind, what kinda clear coat? because the rustoleum i used i dont think is the right stuff..

·
Registered
286 Posts
you have to wet sand and then polish to get a shiny finish.

·
Registered
45 Posts
thanks man ill keep this in mind, what kinda clear coat? because the rustoleum i used i dont think is the right stuff..
I think I used some stuff for wheels I had laying around. I really don't think it matters, but I'm no expert. I suppose as long as it's glossy.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
looks good, with the silver anyway. I dont think it would on some colors. I have a buddy who did it to his jetta and it came out nice as well. He did the wet sand clear coat and buff thing. Definately brought out the shine.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
the hobby spray tint fades, trust me. i sprayed mine with clear coats, and it still fades.

try NIGHTSHADE by VHT from summitracing.com

·
Registered
324 Posts
i used vht, good stuff. and i used wheel clear coat, they came out great.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, i sanded all my tint off, back to stock for a week, im going to use clearcoat mixed with black toner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
why don't you pull the red lens off of the light housing and paint the backside? Then you retain the stock plastic outer lens without the worry of scatching the paint off, and plus its shiny....

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
vht is what my buddy used. Its been a year and it still looks good atleast until last week........ He got rear-ended

·
Registered
138 Posts
I did mine with VHT about... 1 year ago now.
Didn't even clear it afterwards.

Doesn't seem to be fading at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts