TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So on our way home today from helping a friend work on his celica, we were cruising at 45 mph when all of the sudden there was a jolt, and Tippy tipped driver side and we heard massive grinding. Troy was driving and he did a great job keeping Tippy in line while we coasted to a stop thinking at first we had a blow out... that is until we saw my rear driver side tire go flying past us with the 2 foot axle shaft sticking out of it. Once it got about 20 feet in front of us it hit a divot and careened across the front of us only to bounce into a Hyndai show lot. We were so lucky that:

A) We didn't get hurt
B) Another driver near us didn't get hit
c) The tire with 2 foot axle shaft didn't hit any of the new cars.

We had no for-warning. At this point we don't know what failed. Was it the detroit locker? Did the wheel bearing fail? I had slashed a tire 3 weeks ago and got a new spare but it was at 25% tread vs my newer 75% tread tires. Did running one tire on the rear with lower tread ultimately cause it? I am baffled. I had thought that Toyota's might have a rear axle shaft break, but I have never heard of the wheel coming loose and out of the axle housing.

Here she is after we came to a rest and retrieved the wayward tire.

The Tire

You can see the splines are stripped.

Inside the axle housing. Note the damage around the sides.

Poor Tippy! At least Troy and I managed a smile...

What a crazy day!

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
sounds like new bearings and races plus a new axleshaft..... my vote is on bearing failure that happened..... toy axles aren't held in like that at the center like a heep

·
Registered
92 Posts
It will be interesting to see what the diff looks like...I would bet something in the diff siezed and caused the axle to lock. Did the 4 bolts shear?

Glad you are OK.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys - yeah I am going to try and tear into it tomorrow at All Phase (Where we had it towed) and see what to do. Some of the guys on Yotatech also said the wheel bearings were not pressed in right. I'll be going to a Full Floating Axle - I just hope the housing isn't trashed - if it is I might go to a D60....

Thank god I have a tax return coming....

·
Registered
779 Posts
i'm thinking the same thing fjcruzer... :confused:

glad you are ok... and that tippy the three toned beast is going to be rebuilt..again

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree with Rich, sounds like bearing failure, however by the pics your housing is damaged and by the spline on axle shaft your diff is damaged as well---sorry

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I know Daryl... So there is gonna be some work - but she will be up and running in a week or two - so FJCruzer - you WILL see her.... Thank god for the tax return. I have to fix her because she is now my daily driver....

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Let me know when you're wrenching... I might be in the neighborhood this next weekend, and who knows, maybe one of the tow following!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
THIS is why I don't like Semi float axles under a wheelin rig. I'm glad I have a FF!

Looks like you had a bearing failure, but I can't tell with those pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
Yeah I know Daryl... So there is gonna be some work - but she will be up and running in a week or two - so FJCruzer - you WILL see her.... Thank god for the tax return. I have to fix her because she is now my daily driver....
what happened to your bmw?!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what happened to your bmw?!
Couldn't keep affording it :D

Oh and Lavos is an ass to me - he always has been. He has somethng with the women whelers on TTORA... I am not the first he is an ass hat too....

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
karma is a bitch
Couldn't keep affording it :D

Oh and Lavos is an ass to me - he always has been. He has somethng with the women whelers on TTORA... I am not the first he is an ass hat too....
remember kids, it's ok to be gay

on the bmw note...
I love Z-3's but the insurance would kill me...
on a similar note... my neighbor is selling his porsche boxster... that would be a nice chick magnet :woot:...
but again insurance would kill me :mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yikes-glad to hear that you are alright Molly-that must have been something. I once was passenger in a suburban where the wheel came off=not fun.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts