TTORA Forum banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Time for some updates.

Finally found a pump. Thanks goes out to Sgt. Brian and his connection back east, I was able to pick up a brand new pump for $60 shipped. Not terrible me thinks.

This weekend, I borrowed a trailer (way too narrow, no trailer brakes / wiring, pretty sketch) and a truck (brother's lifted Z71 - lifted 6" so kinda sketch, too...)

I was able to plumb and wire a 2WD Toyota gas tank in a cradle I made between the rollbar (ghetto, I know...). I cut some holes in the bed and put some grommets to protect the lines / hoses.

For cheap, I think it turned out pretty well. The intention was to have a smaller tank that wasn't wide and flat (Ford tank). I think it fills the bill at 10~12 gallons, all Toyota, easily removable for servicing, easily filled, etc.

After that, I was able to drive Snoop onto the trailer. I rolled over to Chris - ActionFab's shop - on 70West / Airport Rd. I got there about 5 o'clock on Saturday. Drove Snoop off the trailer, parked him halfway into the 2nd bay (Jeep taking up most of the bay), then started tear down.

My idea was to use 3.5" x 1/4" wall square tube to make the frenched section. However, Chris thought it'd be easier to just cut out a pocket, kinda like the other frenching kits - Datin Fab, for example. I happened upon some thick pipe and thought it'd work.

So, after many hours of fabbin', measurin', hopin', I finally was able to hang the 6" All-Pro springs I got from Sean a while ago (thanks, Sean!). They're a little tall, but now Snoop is more Mexican-ride looking than Baja pre-runner lookin' like before. Should help with climbs, and springs should really help with traction and anti-wrap.

I made sleeves for the 18MM bushings to bring them to standard 5/8" bolts. Glad I did that. So, all 6 bushings (shackle hanger) take 5/8" bolts. I had to move the rear shackle hanger back about 6". Less angle than I'd like (a little steep), but these springs have a ton of arch.

Frenched section

Previous spring hanger - tried to turn it into more of a sloping ramp because I couldn't remove the whole plate

Springs - little more arch than I'd like, so make take out some leaves. Also, still have to put on new spring perches at the axle to get rid of caster correction shims.

Saddest part of the whole thing was that Snoop wouldn't drive back on the trailer. Gave it gas, and the more throttle I gave, the less he wanted to move. Eventually, he wouldn't even start. Back to the drawing board on the engine electronics. It's throwing an AFM and TPS code.

I'd rather have engine stuff to deal with than fabrication (I say that now...). I can swap on "new" sensors and be back in the game (hopefully) faster than I could build and put on the spring hangers. So, main goal was accomplished.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Springs look good. I'd wheel them once and maybe try a shorter shackle before you start pulling leaves.

Sucks to hear about your engine troubles. I know sensors are easy to swap, but new ones aren't cheap, and used ones are becoming more and more unreliable. :(

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Springs look good. I'd wheel them once and maybe try a shorter shackle before you start pulling leaves.

Sucks to hear about your engine troubles. I know sensors are easy to swap, but new ones aren't cheap, and used ones are becoming more and more unreliable. :(
Right now I have 6" center-to-center shackles. If I drop to 5", that only drops me ~1/2". I may try that, but dunno.

Yea, sensors are getting older and older and sketchier. Hopefully I can find something that'll make this sucker work for another 2 years before more fun engine woes :rolleyes:

Just gonna swap in an LS1 :eek:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Not sure what his deal is. I can't get him to run right.

Snoop is loaded and ready to deliver to a shop in Hot Springs to get him straightened out.

In the end, I don't have the time, experience, or patience to do electrical work. Hopefully it's an easy fix. Otherwise, he'll just sit.

Start naming what parts you want :D

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Front bumper, seats, winch, :D
Noted :D

Talked with Paul at Bullett's. He's pretty much the best with 22REs I've found in the area. He came recommended from others about 3 years ago when I had engine woes with Snoop. He was able to get Snoop back together, so hopefully we'll have the same results this time.

I've sourced 3 AFMs, 3 computers (one spare from Steve, thanks!), three TPS, several relays / fuses / Toyota specific breakers. Hopefully Paul can whisper to this 22RE and make it happen.

Still crossing fingers to get Snoop to the Crawl. If Paul can't figure it out, I'm afraid Snoop will have to sit for a while. I don't have the time, energy, knowledge, or passion to keep chasing engine woes.

Send up some prayers to the Toyoda gods that Paul can work his magic :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Snoop has been dropped off. I will update when I hear something.

My dad said they're super busy, which is a good sign, I guess. They do good work, and people know it. Plus, I'm on a back-burner, head-scratcher kinda status. If it goes down like last time, he'll float back and forth to Snoop as he comes to revelations. Plus, it will likely save me some money.

He has a solid 3+ weeks before Crawl, so hopefully he can sort out the gremlins <fingers crossed>

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Kinda...

They told me they replaced some wiring at the pump. Not exactly sure what, but I'm sure it was my fault :rolleyes:

They put in a used Toyota pump instead of the one I got from North Carolina / South Carolina. That one turned out to be bad.

Snoop still ran like crap when I picked him up. I made them go test drive with me and they didn't seem real concerned. Wanted to slap them and say, "You've had this thing forever and you still haven't test drove it?!! What the crap, man!!!"

So, I took it home, checked the codes, put on a different AFM, and it worked. Shazam. They did all the hard work and I swapped a part to make it work. Same thing happened last time I took it to them. They did all the hard work and still couldn't get it right. I swapped a few things when I got home, and Snoop ran perfect. Dunno. Starting to really hate having electronics from 27 years ago... Oops!

181 - 190 of 190 Posts
About this Discussion
189 Replies
21 Participants
Jordan7118
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing