TTORA Forum banner

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Shaft did indeed break, but why didn't it shatter the teeth that were in contact with the pinion instead of sporadically?

I'm still running this. I need to take it out and put in the other 5.29 I have :rolleyes:

UPDATE: Built a new crossmember / transfer case skid/mount. Only took me forever to do. I'm super slow and think too much. It hangs down below the framerails about 2 inches, but I've realized flatbelly isn't all the rage I thought it'd be :rolleyes: Rarely have I come within 2 inches of sliding on the belly.

I'll put up some pics of the mount when I can. I still need to skin it in plate steel, as it's just a square and rectangular tube structure right now. Need to get a poly transfer case mount, too :eek:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Did you ever swap your spare third in? Or are you still running that chipped up one?
Yep, I swapped it out. This'll be the first run for me on this third. Cryo'd and set up by ZUK, so I doubt I'll have any trouble with it.

I don't know that my elocker is working any more, so I've just decide to leave it in the locked position. Dunno what's up with that :confused:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
As some of ya'll noticed, I've had a tremendous amount of trouble starting Snoop. I dunno what the deal is...

I got Snoop home, and I had to drive him off the trailer with the starter :rolleyes:

Might be:
-battery needs charged constantly, which means alternator is going out - AutoZone special...
-Fuel filter clogged
-Fuel pump dieing

Ya'll wanna take bets or put your thoughts out there? I'm leaning towards alternator, as it seemed to start up just fine Sunday morning with a fresh charge on the battery. I pray that is the cause, 'cuz I don't have time to troubleshoot :(

This weekend, I bent another spring. Wasn't awful, but definitely noticeable. It happened on Four Fingers or Vertical Challenge me thinks. I've GOT to do something different for rear springs...

Dang't, boy!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
As some of ya'll noticed, I've had a tremendous amount of trouble starting Snoop. I dunno what the deal is...

I got Snoop home, and I had to drive him off the trailer with the starter :rolleyes:

Might be:
-battery needs charged constantly, which means alternator is going out - AutoZone special...
-Fuel filter clogged
-Fuel pump dieing

Ya'll wanna take bets or put your thoughts out there? I'm leaning towards alternator, as it seemed to start up just fine Sunday morning with a fresh charge on the battery. I pray that is the cause, 'cuz I don't have time to troubleshoot :(

This weekend, I bent another spring. Wasn't awful, but definitely noticeable. It happened on Four Fingers or Vertical Challenge me thinks. I've GOT to do something different for rear springs...

Dang't, boy!!!
I see a four link setup in your future :D

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I see a four link setup in your future :D
I wish, playa :(

I can't afford / don't want someone else to do it, but I don't have enough time to do it myself and do it right. Dang't boy...

Likely replace the leaves with more leaves, but frenched and spun the correct way. Oh, the things you learn after you wheel :eek:

Any suggestions on springs? Go back with F150s, just correctly mounted? 3" wide 4wd springs? Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wish, playa :(

I can't afford / don't want someone else to do it, but I don't have enough time to do it myself and do it right. Dang't boy...

Likely replace the leaves with more leaves, but frenched and spun the correct way. Oh, the things you learn after you wheel :eek:

Any suggestions on springs? Go back with F150s, just correctly mounted? 3" wide 4wd springs? Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
What about a traction bar, or using a stronger main leaf from a 1 ton if that would even work. Here's a link to a page that has specs for all types leaf springs. it might help you find something else that will work http://www.generalspringkc.com/index.php

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
If it were me, I'd turn the F150s around and french the spring hanger. A better option would be to run some aftermarket springs, but those cost money. Even with those options though, you'll eventually want to run a traction bar I would think. I know I need to build one.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I am curious how well the 3" 4WD versions would work.

I think you need to flip them back the right way. The forward side of any leaf spring is essentially a link bar, and transfers all the forward movement from the axle to the frame. You're bending those F150's because you are using the "flex and ride" side of the spring as your "link and locate" side (if that makes sense).

I don't think a traction bar alone with your reverse springs will keep the springs from bending. The trac bar only prevents axle wrap, not forward/backward movement, which is what is killing your springs.

Or maybe some shocks would prevent all this. :confused::flipoff4:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Ya'll are pretty much reaffirming my thoughts.

-French
-"Right-way" short side forward F150s
-Shocks
-Traction Bar

I think that'll be a great start in the right direction. The cool thing is that I have all the stuff already to do all this. I have the heims and bushings for the trac bar, shocks and axle-side mounts for them, springs (kind of...), and getting the material for the french won't be too difficult.

Josh, how are your springs holding up? I really wish they had a military wrap.

Any factory springs that would flex well with a military wrap? RUFs are great because of that extra support.

BTW, Aaron, you have seriously got to get some spring clamps. You front axle was wrapping almost as bad as my rear axle :eek: It did not look good :(

I appreciate the thoughts, guys! Now, why won't Snoop start???

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Mine are holding up fine. I added another leaf (which was a add-a-leaf from Summit) to stiffen the pack up a bit and try to reduce some of the axle wrap. It seemed to help, but it wasn't a cure-all.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Now, why won't Snoop start???
The check engine light is not on, correct? That would make me think it isn't in the efi system or it's related sensors. The battery seemed strong Saturday morning and the alternator shouldn't have anything to do with it not starting. :confused:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
The check engine light is not on, correct? That would make me think it isn't in the efi system or it's related sensors. The battery seemed strong Saturday morning and the alternator shouldn't have anything to do with it not starting. :confused:
CEL is on, I believe. It's been on for a while, though...

It starts out strong after a charge and gradually gets worse as the day goes on. That makes me think the alternator isn't charging. It does better with a full charge.

I guess I should pull some codes? Man, I hate electronics crap :(

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The alternator could be bad, but if there's enough juice in the battery to crank the motor like it was, it ought to run.

I was having trouble with mine not wanting to drive until it got to operating temp. It would start up fine, but you couldn't touch the gas pedal until it warmed up. A quick check of the codes and a new water thermo sensor and she runs great. Definitely check your codes and see what they're saying.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
The alternator could be bad, but if there's enough juice in the battery to crank the motor like it was, it ought to run.

I was having trouble with mine not wanting to drive until it got to operating temp. It would start up fine, but you couldn't touch the gas pedal until it warmed up. A quick check of the codes and a new water thermo sensor and she runs great. Definitely check your codes and see what they're saying.
Gracias, senor! Sounds like we suffer(ed) from similar issues. In the past I have just charged the battery and it works better in the morning. I guess this is more of a solid fix.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Aaron, speak my language. Exactly where and what am I looking for? Check codes and see about the water temp sensor. I know it needs to be replaced because it's not even hooked up :rolleyes:

And with that bump, I control all 5 sub-topics in ARTTORA forum. Man, I need a life... :D

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Aaron, speak my language. Exactly where and what am I looking for? Check codes and see about the water temp sensor. I know it needs to be replaced because it's not even hooked up :rolleyes:
Before you worry about anything else, pull the codes and see what the almighty computer has to say. Here's a link to the # of flashes and what they mean: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Images/85diagnosticcodes.gif I had multiple codes stored but I fixed #4 first and the light hasn't come back on. There are at least 4 water temperature sensors/senders on the 22re. One each for the temp guage, egr, cold start injector, and one for the efi computer. You should see 3 of these sensors on the front of the intake below the upper radiator hose. The one located closest to the block is the water thermo sensor IIRC.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Before you worry about anything else, pull the codes and see what the almighty computer has to say. Here's a link to the # of flashes and what they mean: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Images/85diagnosticcodes.gif I had multiple codes stored but I fixed #4 first and the light hasn't come back on. There are at least 4 water temperature sensors/senders on the 22re. One each for the temp guage, egr, cold start injector, and one for the efi computer. You should see 3 of these sensors on the front of the intake below the upper radiator hose. The one located closest to the block is the water thermo sensor IIRC.
I'll have to check on that when I get back in a couple weeks. I did pull the sensor off the top of the thermostat housing, as I need a new plug. Going to pick-n-pull tomorrow to see if I can find what I need.

Thanks for the info, Aaron!

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
I'm absolutely stumped.

Here's what I know:

The week before the wedding, Daniel and I did some work on Snoop. Thanks for the help, Daniel!

The CEL was throwing a TPS code, so I went to my Toyota parts source and got a different one. The code went away but still wouldn't start. Eventually, I couldn't get the CEL to come on at all. Not when you first turn the key, nor when you jump the diagnosis port. Nothing...

I have checked:
- Main relay
- several fuses
- fuel pump relay
- thermo sensors - the sensor below the throttle body and closest to the block didn't pass, but no code was being thrown

Here's where it's interesting. Daniel and I suspected a fuel issue. I cracked the cold start injector and the fuel rail, and it didn't seem like it was getting enough fuel. We thought maybe clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump. We found a spare battery and jumped the Ford fuel pump. Pumped fuel at a great volume and speed, so I think it's good. However, when I just turned the key - and even briefly started - the pump wouldn't pump.

So what gives? Snoop is dead in the shed until this is resolved.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
As for progress, I did make some...

I powdercoated the Marlin arms I got from Daniel and wanted to put them on Snoop. I started looking around, and I broke two ARP studs on the passenger side knuckle :rolleyes: That project turned into a crazy time that took up all the rest of my time. I thought it was a simple project, but it got really drug out.

So, I decided to do the 5th stud mod. I found some 1" plate for the part that attaches to the knuckle and .5" plate I had laying around to go up towards where the TRE holes are. I copied Boggerunner from Marlin's idea.

On one side, I welded the nut to the knuckle because I didn't drill the hole straight up and down with the studs :rolleyes: On the other side, I was more careful and able to weld the bolt to the knuckle. I figure this is cheap insurance.

I ordered up <gasp> Trail-Gear's Magnum studs, wiper kit, some extra cone washers (lost those when the studs broke), maybe something else. Can't remember. Should be home by now.

My advice is to tighten your knuckle studs before and after every run. I have a feeling mine loosened up a little and then allowed it to walk.

I pulled the Trail-Gear high steer arms. They will be getting powdercoated black (4th set of arms now powdercoated :eek: ) then sold. If you're interested, PM. Thinking $100 shipped or $80 picked up / dropped off somewhere.

I have new TREs to go on. Need to put those on. Really need to buy new trunion bearings, as I cobbled some used and Daniel's spares together :eek:

As a caveat, priorities have changed. Snoop may have helped me realize this frustration and 3.5 hour separation just are more than is worth it. He will likely become a back-burner thing for a while. Not getting sold or parted out (yet) - just getting burned out on always fixing my junk.

See ya'll at the Ramble :cool:

141 - 160 of 190 Posts
About this Discussion
189 Replies
21 Participants
Jordan7118
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing