TTORA Forum banner

161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
run a wire to the fuel pump from a fused key on power source with a toggle on the dash you can turn off.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
run a wire to the fuel pump from a fused key on power source with a toggle on the dash you can turn off.
Also, failed to mention that it still wouldn't start and run with that method (extra battery with Daniel running pump). Dunno if it was flooded or what, but we did try that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
As for progress, I did make some...

My advice is to tighten your knuckle studs before and after every run. I have a feeling mine loosened up a little and then allowed it to walk.

See ya'll at the Ramble :cool:

i bet if 10 folks that wheel thier rigs check thier knucklestuds over 1/2 of em would have loose studs ... i have seen a bunch busted and almost always the other side was loose as well....

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
As a caveat, priorities have changed. Snoop may have helped me realize this frustration and 3.5 hour separation just are more than is worth it. He will likely become a back-burner thing for a while. Not getting sold or parted out (yet) - just getting burned out on always fixing my junk. [/QUOTE]

Boy do I hear ya bout that.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
i bet if 10 folks that wheel thier rigs check thier knucklestuds over 1/2 of em would have loose studs ... i have seen a bunch busted and almost always the other side was loose as well....
Yep, I agree. Spotted a 40 with a sheared stud on Four Fingers. Pretty common problem. Just thought I was safer since I had ARP. I guess it really doesn't matter.
As a caveat, priorities have changed. Snoop may have helped me realize this frustration and 3.5 hour separation just are more than is worth it. He will likely become a back-burner thing for a while. Not getting sold or parted out (yet) - just getting burned out on always fixing my junk.

Boy do I hear ya bout that.[/QUOTE]
Yep. And that's okay. I'm growing up and realizing things that Younger Jordan never could appreciate. The seasons are changing a little, but it won't stop me from getting my fix somehow :D

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Yep. And that's okay. I'm growing up and realizing things that Younger Jordan never could appreciate. The seasons are changing a little, but it won't stop me from getting my fix somehow :D[/QUOTE]

Well just rember it can sit, its not burning anything, just sitting there. If you get to feeling like its more work than fun, just take a break, itl be there when the time is right for you to get back into it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yep. And that's okay. I'm growing up and realizing things that Younger Jordan never could appreciate. The seasons are changing a little, but it won't stop me from getting my fix somehow :D
Well just rember it can sit, its not burning anything, just sitting there. If you get to feeling like its more work than fun, just take a break, itl be there when the time is right for you to get back into it.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not growing up...and you can't make me!:D

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Well just rember it can sit, its not burning anything, just sitting there. If you get to feeling like its more work than fun, just take a break, itl be there when the time is right for you to get back into it.
Well, I'm not growing up...and you can't make me!:D[/QUOTE]
I'd like to make you give answers on how to fix it :cool:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Well, I'm not growing up...and you can't make me!:D
I'd like to make you give answers on how to fix it :cool:[/QUOTE]
The "answer" is probably right under your nose, and you'll be slapping your forehead when you figure it out :) Did you check the flux capacitor ;)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I think what you need to do is visit the truck in person, invite some of us over with our tools, and get this issue taken care of. It ran before, it will run again. :)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I think what you need to do is visit the truck in person, invite some of us over with our tools, and get this issue taken care of. It ran before, it will run again. :)
Fo' real, I'll even bring some beer :)

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Fo' real, I'll even bring some beer :)
I would love to if ya'll are willing to come help! We should have room, so you can stay the night in A/C if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer. I would really appreciate the help! Now just gotta figure out when :eek:

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
The truck runs the fuel pump on open/closed loop I cant rember which, but one or the other. After the initial fire it changes to closed/open loop(can't rember which) it seems as though your getting the initial fuel for cranking the motor over, but loose fuel pressure. there is a group of grounds just below the drivers headlights, be shure they are grounded well. If I'm way off, no need telling me where to go...I already know. :p
Other possibilitys are the maf sensor, wires, or connections, but as I have preached before, those toyota ground wires are a PITA espically on rigs that crawl. The constant josteling and banging around can cause the grounds to loose. After finding weak, or bad grounds I like to run a wire brush on an air grinder on the area with the captured nut, and on the bolt then let it rust after tighting, rusted connections tend to come loose less likely. I don't like locktighting these connections.
Run a test light on the fuel pump wires as the motor is cranked and ran with a bit of fuel squirted through the intake vaccume hose, holes. Note when and if , which wires to the fuel pump are powered.
I'm absolutely stumped.

Here's what I know:

The week before the wedding, Daniel and I did some work on Snoop. Thanks for the help, Daniel!

The CEL was throwing a TPS code, so I went to my Toyota parts source and got a different one. The code went away but still wouldn't start. Eventually, I couldn't get the CEL to come on at all. Not when you first turn the key, nor when you jump the diagnosis port. Nothing...

I have checked:
- Main relay
- several fuses
- fuel pump relay
- thermo sensors - the sensor below the throttle body and closest to the block didn't pass, but no code was being thrown

Here's where it's interesting. Daniel and I suspected a fuel issue. I cracked the cold start injector and the fuel rail, and it didn't seem like it was getting enough fuel. We thought maybe clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump. We found a spare battery and jumped the Ford fuel pump. Pumped fuel at a great volume and speed, so I think it's good. However, when I just turned the key - and even briefly started - the pump wouldn't pump.

So what gives? Snoop is dead in the shed until this is resolved.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
The truck runs the fuel pump on open/closed loop I cant rember which, but one or the other. After the initial fire it changes to closed/open loop(can't rember which) it seems as though your getting the initial fuel for cranking the motor over, but loose fuel pressure. there is a group of grounds just below the drivers headlights, be shure they are grounded well. If I'm way off, no need telling me where to go...I already know. :p
Other possibilitys are the maf sensor, wires, or connections, but as I have preached before, those toyota ground wires are a PITA espically on rigs that crawl. The constant josteling and banging around can cause the grounds to loose. After finding weak, or bad grounds I like to run a wire brush on an air grinder on the area with the captured nut, and on the bolt then let it rust after tighting, rusted connections tend to come loose less likely. I don't like locktighting these connections.
Run a test light on the fuel pump wires as the motor is cranked and ran with a bit of fuel squirted through the intake vaccume hose, holes. Note when and if , which wires to the fuel pump are powered.
Hmmm... I appreciate the insight. Be awesome if it was just a ground :eek:

Think I'm just gonna host a campout / fix Snoop weekend some time. I have a bonfire pile building :D

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Well, he runs again! :D

We started the day replacing wiper seals and upgrading to the thicker rock rings on the front axle. We also replaced the stock studs for some ARP ones.

Throughout the day, it was a constant check this... check that... test this... test that... by Aaron, Jordan, and myself trying to get the truck to start.

We checked grounds.
Jumper'd the fuel pump.
Cleaned and checked air gap in dizzy.
Checked fuel pressures at the injector rail.
And rechecked the AFM.

I got creative and propped the AFM flapper door open and the damn thing fired right up!!!

So, we tested it again with an ohmmeter, and it was faulty. We replaced it with one from Jordan's V6 parts 4Runner, and that got it running better, but the computer still throws the CEL because that AFM is bad (in a different way) too.

Then the other issue kept coming back - the entire EFI system would loose power randomly. No CEL light, no fuel pump running, no relays clicking, nothing. This issue kept cropping up throughout the day, but it would magically fix itself later. Finally, I pulled and swapped every fuse in the fusebox, and the problem seems to have gone away for now. I blame a corroded fuse or terminals.

Now, once Jordan finishes relocating his gas tank (bye bye Ford tank), and gets a good working AFM (even though it runs pretty good now), it should run like a scolded dog and spank some trails. :D:D

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Josh pretty much summed it up!

Thanks so much to Josh, Aaron, and Jonathon for helping out Saturday. They spent a long time putting Snoop back together.

I picked up an AFM on Sunday, but Snoop's still not running quite right. I was able to limp him from the shed to the lean-to with Anna walking the temporary 1 gallon ice-cream gas tank and Ford pump :eek:

I made a mount to put a 2wd Toyota gas tank between the roll bar. Sure, it looks kinda ghetto, but now I can go back to Toyota parts, carry less fuel in a more vertical position (Ford tank is pretty much flat and horizontal), check fuel level more easily, and also has a drain on the bottom just in case.

Unfortunately, the pump is dead. O'Reilly's wanted more than I was willing to pay (I'm cheap), and my "parts dealer" didn't have any EFI pumps. So, I'm on the hunt for an EFI pump and / or 2wd pump assembly.

Again, thanks to you peeps who stopped by and got Snoop mobile again. I can't thank you enough!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
You might try soaking one of your other pumps in gas for a while to see if the motor might free up. Gently tapping it after the soak might help too. That one you pulled from the parts truck looked pretty gummed up.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
You might try soaking one of your other pumps in gas for a while to see if the motor might free up. Gently tapping it after the soak might help too. That one you pulled from the parts truck looked pretty gummed up.
Ahhhh... I shall try that. I brought the 2wd pump assembly back to MiniAfrica. Think I'll blast it and maybe sneak it on to the electroplater. We'll see if that happens.

161 - 180 of 190 Posts
About this Discussion
189 Replies
21 Participants
Jordan7118
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing