TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if you guys heard but my 4Runner was flopped by my son on what was supposed to be an easy to moderate trail. He was out taking photos for a class project and the trail ended up being completely washed out. With the major rains the trail went from easy to Oh Hell!!! I guess we need to take these changes into consideration on all trails. Took 3 Days to get it out and fortunately I was finally able to get it started and drive it out, would have been insane to have been towed out some of the washouts would have been hard to get around. Now with improved offroad detailing on the right side and no other damage she rides again.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2-24-17 Ron Nissley's 4Runner Recovery

Vince Martin, It got real...Offroad recovery in Trabuco Canyon above Holy Jim. I've been a member of Spinnin Fours for many years and my good friend Ron Nissley called and said that his son Robbie Nissley rolled his 4runner Wednesday night up at the very top of the trail and recovery was going to be very difficult because of where he was at. He wasn't kidding! I know Ron well and if he said it may not be possible to get it that we were in for a long, long day and a thrilling ride. My dad Randy Martin and I answered the call and packed up and headed out Friday morning (cue mission impossible music). I wish I had more pics and video because it was a real adventure and these pics don't do it justice, but unfortunately my ass was too busy grabbing phone to take pics. Ron got it fired up around 2:00 pm after purging the oil from the cylinders and luckily it didn't bend a rod in the trusty old 22RE so we were on business. Now all he had to do was finish the 40 foot trek up to the top to turn around, and yes that's where it rolled the first time. After serious contemplation, finishing his will, and reaching down and grabbing his balls Ron made it to the top and turned around. I chose to back down from where I was, it was hairy enough getting the blue IFS 4runner that far even with dual cases and lockers front and rear. I made some spectacular wheel stands and I had pulled a tire over 6' in the air often on the way up and down. With a lot of work, skill, balls and friendship we made down safely to the staging area around 5:30. What a day. Back story - Recent rains created huge ruts and ravines which made getting to the vehicle difficult. They had been up there two days in a row trying to get it started but it was hydro locked and would start because it rolled on the right side and all the oil filled the plenum. Winching and cranking the engine killed the battery so they would have to hike 1/4 mile down the trail and switch batteries with their other 4runner and charge it, them drag it all the way up a steep gnarly hill and try again because they didn't have a built rig to get closer to it. Ron us a recovery expert and he and Robbie had actually managed to get it on its wheels all by themselves which was quite an accomplishment.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Few More, it was so steep I needed a boost up to get in my truck. :grin2:

Once running my truck ended up being fine, in fact at a couple points the rescuee became the rescuer.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts