TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should remember how to drive in this stuff... heck, those Michiganders can handle it...

Dayton had it's worst single day snowfall EVER yesterday (well, at least as long as NOAA has kept records) - and I've lived thru both in this 'delightful' little burg.

I wasn't old enough to drive in during the '77 Blizzard (they don't call this one a blizzard because it wasn't windy enough this time...)

Anyway I remember that back in '77 we were the only family on our street that was able to get out of our driveway the next day. I was 12 then - it was the ONLY time my dad ever told me I wouldn't need to goto bed early because he knew that school would be closed tomorrow. I stayed up and helped shovel the drive - all night. Well, at least until I pooped out; he stayed at it I guess - because we could see our driveway when I got up.

The next morning there was over 20 inches of snow on the ground and snowdrifts that I used to WALK up on our roof. We made severak trips to the grocery for neighbors over the next few days (in a 1972 Chevy Impala)... because everybody else was buried by snowdrifts - but we had enough of a head start that we could get out - gotta love it.

I realized then that my old dad knew a thing or two about driving and weather. Everybody on here talks about wicked mods to make a Tacoma just can just about climb a tree - but if all you had was a big rear wheel drive sedan; you'd figure it out... if you had to.

Anyway, I've managed to get my PreRunner stuck TWICE in Two days... and get it unstuck while re-learning what my folks taught me back then... Keep weight over wheels, Plan your route, find traction, keep up your momentum, it's all about throttle control, give yourself a cushion, use salt, sand or carpet if you have to; don't leave the carpet behind... and ALWAYS say thank you to anyone that comes out and helps.

Grins, anyway, I just wanted to share a little Christmas tale

(I've NEVER wished I had that front diff more than today! err, and all the other cool stuff I read about here...)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidaze to all of you and yours!!

Perry

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wish we would get 20in at once:) We just get a inch or two or three every now and then or every day for a few days so I got to keep cleaning the drive every morning before going to work:-( I hate a snow filled driveway, makes for a messy break-up. Anyway, enjoy the snow and cool that you are learning how to drive with rear wheel drive in the snow:)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
We just got Ice over here in Southern Ohio, it took me 2 days to get the passenger door open, not much enjoyment beating my truck with a broomstick! Blizzard of 93 was the worst I was in we had over 30" fall and it sucked pretty bad!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Shakerhood
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing