TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my family has a cabin up in Arnold, CA in Calaveras County where it usually snows during the winter. We drive up highway 4 to get to bear valley for skiing and boarding and also drive around the different cabin areas and such. Since my truck is 2wd, im looking into getting some chains or cables to make sure my truck doesnt lose any traction driving up and down those roads. They're usually plowed but early in the morning after a snowfall their pretty thick with snow and even plowed theres still a nice sheet of ice to drive over. So my question is what are the pros and cons of both, which is easier to put on, which lasts longer, and of course which is safer. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
793 Posts
Upgrade to a 4x4....:)

·
Registered
237 Posts
here are some good articles[/QUOTE] DOMOKUN!!! Oh and just get some snow tires mounted on some extra rims, put them on at the begining of the season and take them off at the end of the season, they will last for quite a while and you dont have to F(*( around with chains and cables that break or wear out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey man. I have a prerunner as well and did a lot of research on the issue. I decided to go with cables over chains because they seem to be better in dealing with ICE, which is what my problem was. There really easy to take off and on, (i can put them on in about 3 minutes) and take them off just as fast. I heard that cables are a lil safer and dont risk "eating up" the inside of your truck either.

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
If all you need is a little more traction on the roads to deal with the ice and whatnot, then cables are probably the way to go. They are easy to install and will give you the little extra traction needed. Chains would be good if you are getting into some thick stuff or want to dig in the snow.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Haha ya not really in the place to upgrade to 4x4 wish my truck was its the only thing it doesnt have....oh well. Sounds like ill be buying some cables pretty soon. Thanks for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts