TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know were in Ft collins i can get chains? Im looking for some place that might have them in stock for 32x11.50s.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The ones I have are from Walmart and I do not recommend them. They are for size 31-33 and I have 31s. They are more irritating that anything else

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Commutacoma said:
The ones I have are from Walmart and I do not recommend them. They are for size 31-33 and I have 31s. They are more irritating that anything else
whats wrong with them??? i need to find some chains for my 33's and im having a bear of a time...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
4wheelparts will have them. most autoparts stores don't carry anything for big tires. They alson only carry cables if you want chains

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ike said:
how is it in the fort? I left 2 days ago to see family in philly. guess i am missing out on some snow from what i here :(
Side roads arund town are really bad. my parents are flying in from philly tonight.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Why do people always mention Checker, Napa and Autozone but not CARQUEST? Checker and Autozone are retailers selling low grade products and shiny stuff to the general walk-in populus. The
CARQUEST (and NAPA, too) on the other hand, is a parts network serving professional automotive repair facilities, fleets, and farms in addition to the general public.

CARQUEST can get your chains out of their Denver dist. center for $148, part number 3229 in their Quality line. Denver has 31 sets in stock.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
what size do those fit though jeremy? for 33x1250xr15 is what im looking for....

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Sorry Jeremy - they didn't have CarQuest where I used to live, so it doesn't exactly pop in my mind. Is there one in Longmont? and if I use your name will I get a discount, or run out of the store on a rail?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
tacotoy said:
what size do those fit though jeremy? for 33x1250xr15 is what im looking for....
Those fit the 32 11.50 15s that Pulser was inquiring about. CARQUEST probably has chains for your 33 12.50 15s in store, Rich, due to the popularity of that tire size.
Troy, there is a great CARQUEST in Longmont, on 18th Ave, called BEMOR. Since they're an independently owned CARQUEST store, I don't know what kind of inventory or coverage they have on products like tire chains. And they won't give anybody a discount over there (I've tried, lol).

Are there no CARQUEST stores in Ohio? Probably lots of O'Reilly stores, though? and NAPA too? Checker Auto seems to be pretty evenly distributed across the country, although it may be named Checker, Shucks, or Kragen.

·
Registered
739 Posts
http://www.westernsling.com/TIRE CHAINS.htm
check this out
i also have a set of swedish style tire chains that will fit a 34 ish tire,they have a diamond pattern and my buddy has some and they go way better than any cross chain style of chain,and hold some sick side hill angles because of the pattern, these are sweet but not cheap $350 , no shipping, these probably could be shortened, but i dont want to lengthen them for my 36s, so they are for sale

·
Registered
145 Posts
tacotoy said:
whats wrong with them??? i need to find some chains for my 33's and im having a bear of a time...
Maybe I am just stupid and can't figure out how they work. They do not have any racheting feature built into them. You basically need to tighten them by hand and use some spring device to tension them. It would be better to get some black rubber tie-downs to cinch then. It also seems they are too wide for my tires.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
my old chains had cam lock devices that you would twist to tighten up the chains and then to keep them on i would use a rubber chain tensioner. they overlapped the egdes of my 31's way back when a few inches. thats what kept them on the tire instead of somewhere else. but there was no ratchet mechanism. snap a pic and lets see what ya got

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
wow there is only one cam???? that doesn't look right. i guess you could just tighten it down but thats alot of extra to leave hanging around in there.... so i guess you put that lock on as far as you can get it and then twist it to cinch it down more... mine had 4 cams like that per chain so it was easy to hook up and then just twist to tighten.... actually i still have them ( one of the crossbars is busted. and they are a little rusty) but if you want you can have them. then you at least know you have a set that function normally.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts