TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Girlfriend has a new Cavalier and I would like to buy a couple snow tires to throw on the front, but everyone wants to sell me 4. Back when I owned front wheel drive vehicles I only put them on the fronts and never had any trouble. Any advice?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I used to do the same thing. I'd bet the tire places are trying to make a little more cash. It probably is safer to have all 4 as snow tires, but I've definitely been where I couldn't afford that luxury.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I kinda figured they were trying to get some extra cash out of me. I figured she would be able to get around better than she would with just all seasons on it.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I'd buy all four if for nothing else to keep the tire wear in check and even for both sets and there is also the added safety factor. It's not like you're going to loose anything, while the summer tires are on the car the winter tires are just sitting there being stored and vice versa. It's also a great way to keep the rotation schedule up on both sets. Having good safe rubber on the ground is no place to skimp, cheap out or do the nickle dime thing. I run MTRs year round on the truck but have a summer set and a winter set for the wife's Subi. Hopefully there will be some snow to justify putting them on this year, unlike last winter.

My Girlfriend has a new Cavalier and I would like to buy a couple snow tires to throw on the front, but everyone wants to sell me 4. Back when I owned front wheel drive vehicles I only put them on the fronts and never had any trouble. Any advice?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Four

Always four.

I just put a set of four Bridgestone Blizzaks on my wife's Matrix since her Nokian Hakapelitas are worn near to near the wear bars. May put the Nokians next Spring and burn them off before putting her Michelin all seasons back on.

Here in the my corner of the Great White North, tire shops will only put four and by law they have to be on or carry chains by Oct 1.

I run DuraTracs (mountain snowflake rated) year round. For Winter, I put a few hundred pounds of sandbags in the box and carry a set of chains.

How much do you care about your GF?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Just get two. The rears don't do much on a Front Wheel Drive car.

It's been a real long time since I owned anything that wasn't RWD or part-time 4WD, but back in the day I never had any problems just keeping good front tires and not caring about the backs on FWD.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Not only his girl friend but everyone else out on the road too. It's irresponsible for people to cheap out at the risk of everyone else. If you can't afford it, just stay the fuck off of public roadways.

Four

Always four.

I just put a set of four Bridgestone Blizzaks on my wife's Matrix since her Nokian Hakapelitas are worn near to near the wear bars. May put the Nokians next Spring and burn them off before putting her Michelin all seasons back on.

Here in the my corner of the Great White North, tire shops will only put four and by law they have to be on or carry chains by Oct 1.

I run DuraTracs (mountain snowflake rated) year round. For Winter, I put a few hundred pounds of sandbags in the box and carry a set of chains.

How much do you care about your GF?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts