TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put your pic's here

I know some of you have pics I forgot my camera though and all I have is a pic of us posing on bill more and a short phone vid of hi-lift winching Troy. have em up by morning though.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
We had about 12 to 15 rigs on this trip. We started out at Red Elephant hill and were going to do the Empire Loop but we hit a few "snags" along the way:D Decided not to do the loop since it was getting late in the day.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we didn't see any snow until the very end of the trail and the three of us that went on to bill moore lake had some decent snow but not enough to call it snow wheeling.

here's some crappy cell phone pics
I shot too early but this is us coming up the hill towards Dumont

Troy's stuck

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Kevin, as soon as I a get a chance I will post up the few pics I have of the actual "Snow" wheelin part of the trip. Too bad we couldn't make it down to Bill Moore lake.... but night wheelin in the snow was fun:xrocker:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a great time with you guys! I too wish we could have made it all the way to the lake, but it just wasn't in the cards....this time. We would have been coming out to empire pretty late though.

how was tommy knockers? those of you who went.

·
Registered
661 Posts
good to meet everyone! it was a fun run. stubby has a bunch of pics.

·
Registered
478 Posts
good to meet everyone! it was a fun run. stubby has a bunch of pics.
Seems like every trip report is always waiting for stubby to post pics...:flipoff4:

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Great trip, fun meeting everyone, and Sam, totally sorry again for the rocker ding.

Troy did that because the trail was very steep, with loose dirt and rocks, and he was taking a harder line. The truck just slipped off, and then trying to drive him out, he went farther over.

The handwinch was fun, actually, but I need to practice it a bit more.

On another note:

This is most definetely NOT a snow run. I posted in the planning thread about offcamber with steep down hills, and I guess it was missunderstood.

This trail will be downright dangerous in the snow. We had three trucks slide off in dry dirt. Add ice and snow to that, and you may not stop when you slide off. We were on less off camber stuff on upper carnage in the ice, and the trucks were trying to pitch off the edge. It was NOT fun.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
how did troy do that?
Troy did that because the trail was very steep, with loose dirt and rocks, and he was taking a harder line. The truck just slipped off, and then trying to drive him out, he went farther over.
Yep. The lack of traction was unbelievable. Even with front/rear lockers there was more than once where I was like "WTF mate?!?!" It was all about momentum in several spots.

How did Ron do overall?
OK, driveshaft is still hitting. I lathe turned quite a groove in it from the crossmember... back to the drawing board.

It's AWESOME to have a suspension that actually works without binding up and squeaking and creaking all the time.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hagan34 has a crap load of pics. I love that camera Mike! got the specs on it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Ok. First off it was great to meet new people and see everyone again that I have met before. This was good day we had sun, we had snow, and we had Hi Lift Winching 101 hosted by Eric, Troy, and Isaac. :xbeer1: Thanks Troy for donating the test rig for this class. :kewl: I will never say I didn't learn something from this club.:xsmash: Now let's see some pics shall we:

Here are the peanuts in the gallery

Eric made this look easy but we all knew it was his inner Hulk that pulled the truck up

Ashaman inspecting the brute force that Eric used on Troy's rig

View to the front of the pack from my truck

View to the back of the pack from my truck. Everybody say hi to Kevin!!!

Ahh Kyle never listens to a spotter :banghead:

Ashaman doing a little dusting with his rig

How do you fit 14 rigs into a tight forest...... like this

Look at the snow. It's time to go snowboarding.

It started snowing as Poorboy, TacoBlanco and myself left the pack to go up to Bill Moore Lake

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Poser shot :xsmokin1:

Coming down Bill Moore in the dark

Poor Poorboy. He got foiled again trying to reach the summit of Bill Moore Lake. We came across a group coming down that told us there was a nicely iced over spot that would require winching to get out. None of us had winches so we decided it best to head back.

All in all Petra and I had a good time. I do believe that the discussion that came up late about splitting into to different groups with this many rigs would have been a great idea.

Oh and Sam when I did this trail earlier in the year with Hurley and others most of these obstcles were not as exposed or difficult like they were yesterday. This trail has changed dramatically throughout the summer. While I will say that this trail is not for stock rigs you did fairly well. However I think your passenger will never ride with you again and her need for a code 110 with be scarred in her mind forever!!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think about an hour after we/he realized he was in a bad spot and needed help. Wasn't too bad though. Hindsight being 20/20 maybe half the group could have continued while we worked Troy out. :doh: Good times though. Some of us took advantage of the down time to eat and B.S./goof off

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I had a great time! I finished removing the front shock that I ripped off on Red Cone back in September, and since my other one was blown out (and is now making entertaining clanking noises), I was catching air under my front tires whenever I bounced over a rock. I don't know if that was a culprit or not, but it turns out I shredded my passenger side CV boot as well. Found some leaking grease on my idler arm too, so the repair/replace list so far includes both front shocks, a CV, and some steering parts. Oh, and a ring job. :rolleyes: Sorry to everyone who got smoked out whenever I nailed the gas. :D Found a hundred-dollar pair of sunglasses on the side of the trail, though, so it wasn't all bad. ;)

It was great to meet all the folks I'd seen post but had never met, and wheel with those who I'd only met before. Thanks to Troy, Isaac and Eric for expert spotting, and to Troy and Kevin for keeping my rig from toppling over the edge of the mountainside. :eek: Glad we got such a great turnout for what is, for me, probably the last run of the season. :)

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Looks like you all had a blast! Sorry I missed it but neat to see the pics!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brian: I have a half shaft if you want it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts