TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Not too many pics to offer up. I seemed to be busy doing other things most of the trip!

Skills practiced on this run:

1. Hi-lift winching
2. Strap pull
3. Double-line winch pull
4. Working as a team to get everyone through
(5. Navigation)

Lessons learned:

1. The Hi-lift as a winch is a wonderfully simple and effective tool.
2. Traction is required for effective strap pull... duh.
3. As I have experienced before: DO NOT use aspen trees as a winch anchor point (yes, it would have fallen directly on top of my rig!); adjust the angle of the winching rig to limit friction, spooling onto one side of the drum and to avoid pulling the winch vehicle off it's own wheels :D
4. We have a great crew :cool: Lots of good chatter, spotting, and all-around desire to get everyone where they wanted to go no matter what it took.
(5. Sorry about the spur detour. It was a great logistics exercise getting all of us turned around on a narrow shelf road :rolleyes: Next time Kevin is leading so we don't make the same mistake a 3RD time! Remember, left, left, RIGHT, left, left...)

Isaac, thanks for playing again. I always learn something new when you're around :rolleyes: Let me know when you want the UCAs to tinker with.

Troy: Ron always keeps it interesting ;) It was nice to have you back on the trail, but missed Molly, so we'll have to do it again soon!

Kevin, Eric and Co., sorry I couldn't stick around to run up to Bill Moore with you guys. I think this was the first run I can remember that I promised I would return from at a certain time. Now we both owe each other the Loop and Bill Moore!

Sam and Amber, it was a pleasure. Watching your rig reminded my of the '96 Runner I put 175K on and was my first "built" rig with a winch bumper and 1" progressive springs :xrocker: It took me lots of places open-open, so I think you'll have plenty of fun. We just need to get Amber a manual 4WD and you'll be golden :kewl:

I'm not remembering everyone! Damn, I was going to try. It was nice to meet new folks and old alike, and look forward to seeing you all again soon.

The high-country is ready for winter, but the weather was perfect for a workout... er-um, trail run...

I don't know why the Jeep didn't stick with us :confused: It looked like he was doing great and we coulda used that winch backing us up!

The aforementioned crew (Amber is hiding behind the camera...)

Sam working down the backside of Red Elephant (um, yeah, that didn't sound right...) This was the most snowpack we saw on the trail, with the exception of Kevin, Eric and Co who headed for Bill Moore further down/up the trail

Fuzzy moon as we aired up in Downieville

Welcome back to Denver

Voy a haciendo mi tarea ahora. Buenas Noches!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nice pics, Eric, especially the last one! :D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Eric, always a pleasure wheeling with you. Glad I can teach, though not sure what I did.

Its always an exciting trip with Ron.

This was my final trip. It was a good one with all the company!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Ahh Kyle never listens to a spotter :banghead:
(disclaimer: CoTacoTRD, I am in no way attacking you or trying to bash anyone here. I'm simply using this post as an example for my ensuing diatribe. I post this before my post simply because it has been my experience that many things on the net are taken out of tone and expression, since the internet conveys neither, and I in no way wish to offend anyone with my statements.)

Actually, in this case, Kyle's spotter wasn't doing his job.

Its a common misconception that a spotter picks a line. A driver picks his/her line, a spotter helps him/her stay on it, and if they bounce or hop off the line, the spotter helps the driver with the recovery of that line. The driver, and only the driver, has final say, and should be conversing with the spotter on strategy, not simply obeying.

The exception to this is someone who is brand new. They often need a few extra pointers and assistance, but they too should never be afraid to say, "hey, I'm not comfortable, and I want to try this....".

I should have stopped kyle once I found that he wanted to try the rock instead of going around it, and discussed where he was trying to go. I tried to do it on the fly, and that's never a good plan of attack.

I've actually had words with folks spotting me (not from this group) because I completely ignore a spotter until I'm ready to be spotted. I know my truck, and I know my comfort level, and I know my limits. I decide how the truck goes up something, and ask for advice on my choices, or after I'm stuck :D.

You, as a driver, should be in control.

I encourage anyone who is driving while I'm spotting to have zero problem with telling me straight up, "hey, I don't like what you are doing, I'm not happy with this, and this is what I want to have happen next." I would never be offended or hold it against anyone if they told me I had no idea what I was doing, and that they wanted someone else.

A spotter is an aid to your wheeling experience, just like a winch, or a locker, or a transfercase.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
(disclaimer: CoTacoTRD, I am in no way attacking you or trying to bash anyone here. I'm simply using this post as an example for my ensuing diatribe. I post this before my post simply because it has been my experience that many things on the net are taken out of tone and expression, since the internet conveys neither, and I in no way wish to offend anyone with my statements.)

Actually, in this case, Kyle's spotter wasn't doing his job.

Its a common misconception that a spotter picks a line. A driver picks his/her line, a spotter helps him/her stay on it, and if they bounce or hop off the line, the spotter helps the driver with the recovery of that line. The driver, and only the driver, has final say, and should be conversing with the spotter on strategy, not simply obeying.

The exception to this is someone who is brand new. They often need a few extra pointers and assistance, but they too should never be afraid to say, "hey, I'm not comfortable, and I want to try this....".

I should have stopped kyle once I found that he wanted to try the rock instead of going around it, and discussed where he was trying to go. I tried to do it on the fly, and that's never a good plan of attack.

I've actually had words with folks spotting me (not from this group) because I completely ignore a spotter until I'm ready to be spotted. I know my truck, and I know my comfort level, and I know my limits. I decide how the truck goes up something, and ask for advice on my choices, or after I'm stuck :D.

I encourage anyone who is driving while I'm spotting to have zero problem with telling me straight up, "hey, I don't like what you are doing, I'm not happy with this, and this is what I want to have happen next." I would never be offended or hold it against anyone if they told me I had no idea what I was doing, and that they wanted someone else.

A spotter is an aid to your wheeling experience, just like a winch, or a locker, or a transfercase.
Really, it wasn't a big deal. I wanted a challenge, saw the direction you were pointing me, and refused. I took Eric's comment as a joke, since we all know that I wanted to do my own thing, and it wasn't a "lack of attention" thing on my part. Generally my style is to go on my own until I get stuck, and then discuss a plan of attack with my spotter, whether that's an intelligent thing to do or not...;)

It really worked out fine, since I was only stuck for less than 2 minutes, suffered no damage, and went well on my way. Had I been unsure about the situation, I would have followed your every move. I had spent some time looking at the rocks before, and felt that I could handle it no problem. Really I think I did decently well, except the way the rear end slipped and got me hung up. Really, no worries what so ever.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That obsticle gave us all a run for our money locked or not. I hate that loose dirt on rocks CRAP up there. It makes for a super big challenge that I would take on any day of the week. :D I love a good challenge no matter how bad I complain or fight it. It always pays off.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I will add to clarify one of my previous posts:

This is my final trip, this season. Got stuff to get done, so I gotta spend my weekends not wheeling.

Kyle, you were all good. I was just using the post above, as I said, for a basis to comment on a trend I've seen a lot this season. Your situation, and Eric's comment, were only peripheral to my point.

In fact, I liked your line enough to drive it myself.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
That obsticle gave us all a run for our money locked or not. I hate that loose dirt on rocks CRAP up there. It makes for a super big challenge that I would take on any day of the week. :D I love a good challenge no matter how bad I complain or fight it. It always pays off.
And I enjoyed pulling you up it. ;) Seriously. I wasn't sure how my open-open was going to handle the loose stuff and a largish rock where I was with another rig in tow, but we did just fine and both got through it. Good times! :D

·
Registered
397 Posts
I will get my pics up tomorrow everyone...Amber got some good ones when I was driving...lol..oh and amber said she will come again she had a great time and she just needs money but she wants a truck like mine....lol....I had a great time....

oh and Issac its all good you got me un-stuck which was my main concern...I can build my own armor preferably sooner then later..and a locker too...and thanks for driving...I really didnt feel comfortable at that spot...

Thanks guys it was a great learning experience and I hope to wheel with you all again if you can handle my novice driving...and thanks for putting up with the novice driving experience...i had a great time...and pics tomorrow I promise....

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Isaac good comments and good point. I knew Kyle was doing what he wanted the comments part for each picture were entirely jokes. But good time to bring up the discussion on spotting and being spotted.

Hey now we learned two things on this trip :D

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Eric, I loved the group pic! I was bummed I wasn't there too but hey next time!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

I often forget to communicate, either as a driver or spotter, assuming drivers want me to guide them through an obstacle, or that spotters know that I really just want them to make sure I don't do something really stupid. Isaac is exactly correct that a spotter is an aid unless the driver specifically asks for guidance. Once you get to know the folks you wheel with you learn what each driver's expectations are and can then help fill in, and offer advice when appropriate. That is always changing, so communication is key to avoid confusion, carnage and to keep everyone happy :)

Eric, always a pleasure wheeling with you. Glad I can teach, though not sure what I did.

Its always an exciting trip with Ron.

This was my final trip. It was a good one with all the company!
Every time we do a recovery (and I think it's been every time :D) it's a good reminder and since every recovery or obstacle is different, it';s always a learning experience. Working with other competent people inherently provides new insights and ideas on how to get the job done better, faster and more safely.

Thanks guys it was a great learning experience and I hope to wheel with you all again if you can handle my novice driving...and thanks for putting up with the novice driving experience...i had a great time...
That's half the fun! We all have been where you are on the learning curve and it's as fun to watch someone really get into it as it is to drive (almost as fun... HA!)

Eric, I loved the group pic! I was bummed I wasn't there too but hey next time!
You can thank Amber for the group pic. Hopefully in the not-to-distant-future she'll be in one as well with her own rig :xozzy:

·
Registered
661 Posts
and a cb. my old front bumper no longer wanted to stay on.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Damn Nate... now molly's really going to have a hard time determining who is who! haha.

You're crampin my style man! :p

Only joking of course, trucks lookin good!

21 - 40 of 58 Posts