TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snow run this weekend starting at the usual spot at hwy 18 and Holcomb Valley road?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,482 Posts
Let's do it! Big Bear is expecting another foot or so of snow this week. We might have R2 road conditions on the way up and tons of traffic, but I say lets go!

We don't require chains on the trail, only to meet CHP requirements on highway as necessary.
Meet at the trailhead of 3N16 and Hwy 18 at 9am.
Trailhead for 3N16 is here:
N34 17.620 W116 48.810

Optional
7:30am Meeting at McDonalds at I-15 and Bear Valley here:
N34 28.280 W117 20.575

I'll be going up the back way through Lucerne if anybody wants to meet up at the McDonalds on our way to the trailhead.

BE PREPARED FOR CHALLENGING TRAIL CONDITIONS. Those attending should have good mud terrain tires, locker, lift and recovery gear. Bring chains and a shovel.

Forecast for Saturday is clear with a high temp of 40°F.

Post up if you plan to attend! I'll send out an email.

·
Registered
2017 Tacoma TRD Offroad
11 Posts
Is this meant for Saturday or Sunday?
Whoops, did not read the title. Sorry

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got a 2nd gen 4Runner with 32" mud tires and lockers front and rear. No suspension lift. I've never been on this trail and have limited experience on snow. Is this trail too difficult for me?
Thanks.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,482 Posts
I've got a 2nd gen 4Runner with 32" mud tires and lockers front and rear. No suspension lift. I've never been on this trail and have limited experience on snow. Is this trail too difficult for me?
Thanks.
You'll be good. You got the tires and lockers and those are the most important. Please feel free to join us tomorrow! :)

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,482 Posts
Everything is still a go for tomorrow. CB ch 4 or HAM 144.450 for comms. Traffic and road conditions going up the hill are going to be very poor. Allow extra time. Pack food, extra supplies, blankets, shovel, etc. Fuel up in advance. Dress warm! Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. </parenting lecture> Look forward to seeing everybody tomorrow!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you to everybody who went on this snow run. I had a blast! Hope to join in again whenever you're up for it.

btw, you were right about leaving via the 330. Traffic came to a stop just after the dam. I ended up going back the way we came in after having dinner in Big Bear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sure! Here's a few:

That's Boris in his 3rd gen 4Runner ahead of me. This was about the average depth of snow we encountered.

Ken and Tyler trying to unstuck Ken's FJ Cruiser with recovery boards. Notice the virgin snow ahead of his front bumper!

My 2nd Gen 4Runner getting stuck for the first of 3 times. I learned backing up while turning in snow is difficult.

This was the furthest point we reached on our ride and probably the highest elevation. Ken's FJ Cruiser is being winched by Boris's 4Runner while Tyler's Tacoma is being used as a makeshift boat anchor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts