TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a short video from a day trip up to Norish Creek. I got to test out my chains for the first time, and they worked good. Only problem is they smack the bottom of the fender a lot, might have to make some adjustments. My dad bought a GoPro Hero2, so I stole it for the day :D Watch it in 1080p for the best picture.

http://youtu.be/aTiFDGzNZco?hd=1

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
looks like you didn't air down...probably wouldn't have gotten stuck ;)
best to run 8-10psi in snow w/o beadlocks.

where is that? we haven't seen snow around here in months.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always forget to air down when we go out... I gotta start doing that. Just gotta remember to bring the air pump too :D

It's up in the mountains in BC, Canada (about an hour or two outside Vancouver). It snowed in the city the night before so there was a fair amount of snow on the trails.

Question: Can you air down and use chains, or is it one or the other?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I always forget to air down when we go out... I gotta start doing that. Just gotta remember to bring the air pump too :D

It's up in the mountains in BC, Canada (about an hour or two outside Vancouver). It snowed in the city the night before so there was a fair amount of snow on the trails.

Airing down can make as much a difference as putting on chains. ;) I've never had to bother with them. When I get stuck having chains wouldn't make any difference cuz I'm usually buried to the doors :p
but, to answer your question, yes, you can do both. I probably wouldn't go down much lower than 12psi with chains, however. SteveO, also from CN, has tons of experience with snow/ice wheeling with chains so hit him up for advice.

on 33s before the swap...still not stuck :D

SAS on 35s...not even close to stuck...running 5psi that day and spun all 4 tires on the wheels so ride home was kinda vibration prone :p

stuck :p

3'+ of powder from the night before is a blast to drive through :D
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~ccorley/wheelin trips/snowrun108/

·
Registered
662 Posts
Cool Thread! Nice vid and pictures.

Like Hytenor, I air down whenever I wheel, but usually go to about 12 psi.

Here's a short video of a snow bashing trip I went on last week. I was the only Tacoma, so it was fun to represent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xkhstjNNsM

The snow was only about 24 inches deep on average but there were deep drifts. On top of that there was a thick crust of snow about 4 inches below the surface, so it was more difficult than the video would suggest. At any rate, enjoy!

·
Registered
719 Posts

I run chains alot, and I'd be careful about airing down too far. On my tires I go down to 15 -18. It depends on the tire and I go by the way it looks. At lower pressures you have to make sure your chains are snugged up or you will end up throwing one. They can get wrapped around the inside of the wheel and do damage too. The combination of lower pressure and chains really works. As for the rubbing, I always choose my tire with chain compatability in mind :dunno:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
X2, air down. You will be MUCH happier.
I'll definitely be doing it that next time we go out. I think this summer I'll be putting on-board air on my truck. Right now we have one of those portable viair compressors (well, technically my dad's) that you connect to the battery. It works really good, but I always forget it at home...

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I'll definitely be doing it that next time we go out. I think this summer I'll be putting on-board air on my truck. Right now we have one of those portable viair compressors (well, technically my dad's) that you connect to the battery. It works really good, but I always forget it at home...
for 33s a 10# CO2 tank and regulator is the best way to go. fill tires in seconds rather than minutes and I used to get about 4 trips out of a tank...including filling up several other's trucks :p

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for 33s a 10# CO2 tank and regulator is the best way to go. fill tires in seconds rather than minutes and I used to get about 4 trips out of a tank...including filling up several other's trucks :p
I've got 31s, but I'll probably do something similar to that. I was thinking of mounting a tank under the box somewhere, then putting a compressor in the box, then I never have to worry about running out of air.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I've got 31s, but I'll probably do something similar to that. I was thinking of mounting a tank under the box somewhere, then putting a compressor in the box, then I never have to worry about running out of air.
you can do that but about the largest size tank you can stuff under the truck is a 5# long/skinny one. That will take care of about 1.5 tires then you run off the compressor.

·
Registered
937 Posts
CO2 is an evil gas that's going to cause the planet to heat up and kill us all.
I know that's a fact because FAT AL the IPCC and EPA said so.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
:rofl:

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
climategate II...'nuff said ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts